XP sound amnesia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
You have entered, the Microsoft Zone... <cue_evil_freaky_music>

My computer seems to randomly decide to 'forget' the sound settings of windows logon/logoff & startup/shutdown. The other parts of the sound scheme stay as I set them (excepting MSN messenger, which never has, and probably never will, remember the sound settings)

Any idea why suddenly the startup, shutdown, logon and logoff sounds would suddenly cease to play even though they are still selected in the control panel?

any idea how I could go about fixing it with any certianty? (I've fixed it a few times through a long process of reset the sounds, reboot and repeat ten or more times until it magically starts working again)

That would be all for now... everything else in my systems seems to be predictable (if not predictably failure-prone) but hey, so long as it continues to boot successfully one in three times, I can always keep trying until I get it right?

I've had a problem like this too. I never really fixed it (just too lazy). But, I think if you take your created sounds and put them in the same directory as the builtin Windows sounds, and also save your sound scheme to the same directory as the other schemes.

well, I could try that, though I have them all in a subdirectory of the original media folder (because there's about 100 of them, and I want to keep them organized)

Interestingly enough though, the ones that are disfunctional aren't the only ones that are kept in that directory -- more than 3/4 of my system sounds are ones I've added, there, and none of them have ever had any problems excepting the four I mentioned... StarCraft sounds the lot o' them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom