XP shuts down automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

koltregaskes

Solid State Member
Hello,

I've had this before and I think it was a virus. But I've run the removal tools this time and it had not fixed the problem and I have XP2 on my machine so this should include the fix anyway.

When I boot up my machine, it works fine, it gets to the log on screen then after a few minutes maybe just 30 seconds it starts the shut down process (i.e. saves settings) and powers off. I am able to log in if I'm quick enough but it still shuts downs like I've selected to shut down from the XP Start Menu everytime.

I was pointed to the following MS support page (which is to do with restarting and not shutting down) and it worked for a while. Then it started again and running this fix doesn't help any more.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878474

Any advice is much appreciated.

Kol

Safe Mode is fine, this is how I can run the fix detailed from the URL mentioned in my first mail. I don't think it's a virus, but will let it run over night.

Any other ideas?

I've virus scanned the whole computer and nothing. I have had it working for a few days but now it gone back to shuttting down again. It's faster this time as soon as the logon screen appears it starts to shut down then power off.

I have no idea what to do. I've booted up with just the boot drive plugged it and it still does it. But safe mode it still fine.

Any help is much appreciated.

Hello,

I still have this problem. I have since formatted my C: drive and installed everything back onto it, so, in theory, in cannot be spyware or a virus. I couldn't tell at work point it started again (though before this it might just not have decided to shutdown). But I installed the Windows XP SP2 fairly early on in the re-install process and it started shutdown at the log in before this.

It's very weird, it now happens but it take a perhaps 20 seconds or a minute or 2 to decide to shutdown at the log on screen. If I try and log in straight away and try in my password, it will still start shutting down while programs are loading.

So when I boot up the machine and get to the log on screen I leave it for a few minutes before logging on.

I have Spybot installed and use the Immunize and blocker with it, I have Ad-aware insalled plus the new MS Ant-Spyware program and regulary run all these. My AV software and firewall software (McAfee VirusScan and ZoneAlarm Pro) are fully updated). I've not touched the default security settings for IE, Windows or Office.

Should I run HijackThis again?

1) Have you tried logging on with the Ethernet unplugged if on a network??

It could possibly be a Remote Procedure Call thing, because I do remember that it defaults to shutdown or reboot after it crashes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom