XP shows I have 256mb Ram, I have 1056

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roofcutter

Solid State Member
Due to some crap I went through last week (not even sure I can explain it), I had to reinstall windows and it is all weird. When I start my computer (Dell XPS XP svpc 2) I have to hit F12 Then I hit 2 to boot to master drive. Then a message pops up that says I have to hit F1 or F2 and I hit F1 then I have have two windows xp Home and I enter the first one.

The guy at tech support couldn't really help me. Now I can use the computer just fine and have for the last week going through this whole start up process. I noticed though that XP shows I have 256mb of RAM when I actually have 1056. How can I get XP to show all the RAM installed?

Also, some program called CPBACKUP always pops up saying "can't boot windows". That is why I hit F12

I'm sorry up front for not giving enough detail. I'm not even sure what to give :eek: I'm not stupid when it comes to computers, but I'm not an expert by any stretch. I can usually fix what I do, but this time it's over my head.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

You say you have 2 XP's to choose from? Do you need them both or did you make them? If you dont need them, go to the one that you use, go to run, type msconfig, go to boot.ini, click "check all boot paths, then click yes to remove the invalid one, reboot, and see if that dont fix a few problems.

Thanks for replying. I did what you said, and it did take one step out of the startup :)

If I start the computer, I get a black screen that says

"Alert! OS Install Mode Enabled. Amount of available memory limited to 256MB"

Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utillity.

I hit F2, entered the setup utility and then escaped. I then got a black screen that said

"This disk can't boot: it was formatted by CPBACKUP. Change disks and press a key"

I have no discs in any drives. When I hit any key, I get the same message. I then ctl-alt-del and when the XP logo comes up, I hit F12, then 2)Primary drive. I then F1 to continue, F2 to run setup. I hit F1 and then it finishes booting XP (this is where I had the choice between 2 XPs and I got rid of the second one using the method you posted).

I don't remember installing CPBACKUP, but maybe I did. I had that message before my computer started acting up a week ago. The MS tech guy helped me to format the harddrive (just wiped everything I had, which was ok since I didn't need what was on there as I backed up everything I wanted to keep) and reinstall windows. Everything I posted above this paragraph happens since the harddrive was formatted and XP reinstalled.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.;)

Thats a lot of shit to go through. Damn. Are you using Dells XP CD that came with the system? How did you format it? The XP CD or Bootdisk? Did you upgrade or reinstall? Did you delete the partition and make a new one? What is CPBACKUP? Do you have a folder on your c: drive? Is is a program in your add/remove? If so delete it or uninstall it. Let me know.

I used the Dell XP svc pack 1 CD to format. I did not delete any partitions on the harddrive. I have a C and a D for the 120g harddrive. D is about 25 or 30 gigs. I'll have to do some research on CPBACKUP. I don't recall what is is. There is no and was no folder (I checked when I first go the message. It didn't affect anything at the time). It isn't in the add/remove folder.

I guess, since the computer is working, is it worth messing with? Beats me. But what I would like to do is get the computer to recognize all the RAM instead of just 256mb.

What you should do to stop all this confusin, go to www.bootdisk.com and download the windows 98 bootdisk, fdisk and format your c drive, then install xp. Dont format your d drive, you can use that as your backup drive. This will take about an hour or so. Right after that, download ALL updates including SP2 and the updates after that, then install your programs. Let me know.

I noticed this mode on our new DELL servers at work. In the BIOS, there is an option to limit your RAM to 256 megs. You should be able to go into your BIOS and disable this mode. I'm not sure where it is in the BIOS as I don't have the servers in front of me. The Dell tech support guy should bloody well know better.

Thank you to both of you. I'll follow both recommendations and let you know tonight how it worked out.

Is there are particular type of windows 98 boot disk I should download and make or will any of them work? http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Maybe windows 98 SE OEM? Also, why 98? I'm asking because I don't know.

Also, do I need to dl FDISK from the same page for 98 and drives bigger than 64gigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom