XP Service Pack 3 .... FINALLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Microsoft finally releases XP Service Pack 3 - Applications - CRN Australia
Microsoft finally releases XP Service Pack 3

Microsoft Corp. has confirmed the RTM of Windows XP service pack 3 and will begin distributing the long-awaited final major update for XP later this month.

Microsoft has confirmed the release of Windows XP service pack 3 to manufacturing and says it will begin distributing the long-awaited final major update for XP later this month.

In a Monday post to Microsoft's TechNet forums, Chris Keroack, Windows XP SP3 release manager, said Microsoft will release XP SP3 via Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center on April 29, and will begin pushing it to users through automatic distribution in early summer.

Windows XP SP3 bundles all the updates Microsoft has released for XP since rolling out the OS in 2001, as well as "a small number of new fixes and additions that should not significantly change the Windows XP experience," a Microsoft spokesperson said in an email to ChannelWeb.

XP SP3 was originally slated for release in 2006, but Microsoft delayed it on numerous occasions since launching XP SP2 in August 2004, leading some partners to speculate that Microsoft was dragging its heels on releasing XP SP3 in order to drive more users to Vista.

"I believe they want XP to go away. They know that have to support it with enterprise customers, hence the improvements rolled into SP3," said one Microsoft Gold partner who asked not to be named. "In my opinion, they want to under-publicise anything to do with XP."

Earlier this month, the CRN Test Center conducted head-to-head tests between XP SP3 Beta (Release Candidate 2) and Vista SP1 that showed XP still holds a measurable performance advantage over Microsoft's next-generation desktop operating system.

XP SP3 includes Network Access Protection (NAP), Microsoft's NAC-like security technology that's also built into Vista and Server 2008; 'keyless activation,' a time saver that allows IT administrators to install SP3 without entering product keys for each copy; and detection of so-called 'black hole' network routers that interfere with network performance.

YAY! It means that I can get that one customer of mine to told calling my up every monday morning in regards to windows Xp SP3.

However i am most likely not going to install Xp SP3 for atleast 4 week after the release so that I can be clear of any of the typical Service Pack Teething Problems.

hey Makaveli...I told you so! 8^P

"Earlier this month, the CRN Test Center conducted head-to-head tests between XP SP3 Beta (Release Candidate 2) and Vista SP1 that showed XP still holds a measurable performance advantage over Microsoft's next-generation desktop operating system."

XP Pro service pack 3 just added new keys an a few minor bug fixes, hopefully this is not the case an it has bug fixes security updates an more.

hey Makaveli...I told you so! 8^P

"Earlier this month, the CRN Test Center conducted head-to-head tests between XP SP3 Beta (Release Candidate 2) and Vista SP1 that showed XP still holds a measurable performance advantage over Microsoft's next-generation desktop operating system."
I also told you those test are not equal. They can not use a rig that is over top of the line for XP and bottom of the line for Vista and expect the results to be any different.

When they do a fair test with machine that are over abundant on resources for both then talk to me. Till then those results mean absolutely nothing.

While it RTM'd it still is not available yet. It went to OEM's first and will not be ready for download to the public yet. It isnt even up for MSDN subscribers yet. So dont go looking for it.

So... is this the same as the last beta SP3, or do I need to uninstall it and install this one?

Only 8 days left in the month, so it won't be long. I heard it was slated to be released on the 29th.

Sinci that is still about the Beta. NeoSmart does not have the Official build yet. I know this cause i know the person who wrote that.

It might hit on the 29th but i would not look for it till May.

This isnt the Beta anymore. This is the final version. It is tested to work on almost all setups and all teh bugs and other such things are fixed. I know that is a old article cause the last build i tested was 3311. Not 3205.

Trotter to answer your question. Yes you will have to uninstall the Beta to install this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom