xp restore issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

wicked23

I know things...
I'm in a funny situation. I recently accidently tried to install a program not designed to run on XP. Now I get windows file protection errors stating i need to reinstall files with my windows xp pro sp2 disc. this is mostly by odbc files.

The thing is the IT person I replaced diddn't seem to like to keep the discs associated with each PC in order. I have an hp tower with oem discs. Every disc i have tried keeps saying this is not the right disc please insert the correct one.

I used a tool on here that i found to find my product key and it does not match the sticker on my tower.

Is there a way to find out which oem disc goes with my pc?
Is the product key for my pc on these disc some where so i know which is my disc or am I screwed?

not screwed.

Try doing this...

cancel the request for the file replacement. This creates an entry in the evenlog that tells you the files to replace. Record all of the events and the files and versions (from events) that it's wanting. Then find those files from another machine and simply copy them over and replace the offending ones. This really should be all you need to do.
Alternatively, you can search for somthing called "Cryptofix.bat". this will stop the WFP faults from comming up by restting the cryptography service that triggers these events. Might not fix it, in the case I have seen it not work a few times, but it's worth a shot if you need to.

Also, have you tried doing a system restore from yesterday?
just a thought.

I tried the system restore from the previous day and it said it could not restore that there where no changes to restore.

?????

Will try what you suggested. thanks.

Nothing in event log. I get some odbc installer errors now.

1.The ODBC resource DLL(C:\windows\system32\odbcint.dll) is a different version than the odbc setup dll( C:\windows\system32\odbccp32.dll).

you need to reinstall the odbc components to ensure proper operation.

I tried manually replacing both with new versions off an xp disc, but they won't let me registar them.

2. i also get: The odbc installer dll (odbccp32.dll) is not installed on this system.

i replaced that and odbccp32.cpl and no help either.

I did notice alot of the odbc dll's were replaced with ones modified with the date 1996. I am currently changeing all with the newer ones off of disc dated 2003 or 2004. I have no idea if i'm on the right track.

Thanks will check it out. So far I've reinstalled every file that was changed in the C:\windows\system32 folder and no help at all.

Will post when I figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom