XP Professional OEM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
Ok, so i just finished building a new PC for my employer. They bought all the parts at my request at newegg.com.

When it was all complete and done. I found out that my employer had purchased the XP Professional OEM version. Knowing already that this version wouldn't allow me to format the Harddrive for the first time.
So i tried it anyway. And i was right.

"Windows XP can not find a hard disk please verify....blah, blah, blah"

Can someone just verify for me that I'm correct and must buy the retail full version of XP Professional to format the hard drive for OS installation.

By the way, i already used the Seagate Disk Wizard to prepare the drive for OS install.

OEM is for PC's that came with HD already formatted and installed.

Please Verify.

should be able to install, the only difference between OEM and retail is that retail can have its license transfered and an OEM must stay with the original PC.

HAVOC2k5 said:
Ok, so i just finished building a new PC for my employer. They bought all the parts at my request at newegg.com.

When it was all complete and done. I found out that my employer had purchased the XP Professional OEM version. Knowing already that this version wouldn't allow me to format the Harddrive for the first time.
So i tried it anyway. And i was right.

"Windows XP can not find a hard disk please verify....blah, blah, blah"

Can someone just verify for me that I'm correct and must buy the retail full version of XP Professional to format the hard drive for OS installation.

By the way, i already used the Seagate Disk Wizard to prepare the drive for OS install.

OEM is for PC's that came with HD already formatted and installed.

Please Verify.

is your hard drive on a raid or sata?

hmmm... OK, makes alot of sense.

But, when i have the CD in the drive and BOOT to CD to install.
CD boots asks me if i want to install XP. I HIT ENTER and it tells me that XP PROFESSIONAL can't find a hard drive. I know that the BIOS sees it. I know it's not formatted which XP should ask me to do.

The hard drive was prepared with a BOOT FLOPPY from Seagate the Manufact.

Why is it telling me that no Disk is found?

It's a Seagate Barracude 80 gig SATA 7200 rpms.
Power is connected and SATA cable is connected properly.

Someone tell me what i'm missing here?

ah, eric b hit it on the head. before installing XP, you need to choose the option for the other drivers (very beginning, think it says F3 for 3rd party drivers or what not). Then use the floppy disk to install the SATA drivers. It needs those.

You need to press f3 or f6 (one of them) to install SATA drivers first. XP doesnt recognize SATA drives by itself

That is the thing with SATA, since they have an open option for raid array configuration, you must install 3rd party dirvers for the SATA configuration. If it is an IDE drive, just make sure that the jumpers are in the "master" config. If this doesn't do anything, take the drive to another comp, and install it there, then of course, move it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom