XP Problems Galore - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2005, 07:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default XP Problems Galore

A friend brought me a PC he's been having problems with. Typically I can fix these things without too much trouble, but this one has been a bear. I've got a couple of problems with this that I can't seem to get fixed.

1. When clicking Start > All Programs. The All Programs option doesn't expand. When browsing through Documents and Settings/<user>/Start Menu the programs are there. This problem exists for both the users on the system.

2. When attempting to open a website in IE, it says it can't download / from site and gives the domain name of the site you are trying to reach. I managed to get Mozilla installed and it works fine. I know it's a better browser in most ways, but I would still like to fix the problem with IE.

3. You can't double click any icon on the desktop. The icon turns semi-transparent. You can run the program by right-clicking and selecting open.

4. McAfee is disabled and can't be enabled. It also reports an error on startup indicating that the program must be re-installed. This is apparently a freebie for AOL subscribers. They downloaded and installed (or attempted to install) it that way.

5. None of the control panel items will run. Also, can't get the System Restore program to work.

What I've done.

1. Did a NAV virus scan by sharing the hard drive and scanning it from my computer. It has updated virus defs, etc. No viruses were found.

2. Installed, updated and scanned the PC with Adaware. Found and corrected about 200 items.

3. Did a scandisk.

4. Did a system file check (sfc /scannow ).

It may be down to a restore with the CD provided, assuming they can find it. I was hoping that someone here would have some ideas on something else I can try.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

you should try running spybot and hijackthis. other than that, back up the docs on a pen drive or something like that, reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows

Old 03-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

reload time. Sounds like a user problem
A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 03-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Grinch

hehehe, Our school does that on purpose to the students. Basicly someone has gone in and limited what can and cant be accessed some how. I'm still trying to figure out how they do it, but ive been able to get around that stuff... it just takes time -.-
Old 03-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Try this:

Undo missing programs
Closed Thread