XP Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncjimn

In Runtime
Hello again, for some reason this computer keeps giving me problems.

#1: I just recently installed xp on this comp (for like the fourth time in the last month) I updated drivers and everything. For some reason every time I have to turn the computer down, I get a black screen after the windows logo when I try to boot into windows. I am able to access safe mode and from there do chkdsk /r and it usually loads fine after the checkdisk is complete. However, when I turn off the computer again, I go back to the same black screen and I can't seem to find a solution.

As I type this on my laptop, I'm running a checkdisk so that I can work on stuff.

#2: I used to leave my computer on 24/7 and I normally had no problems. However, I decided to let my computer sleep/hibernate when I'm not using it. The computer sleeps and hibernates w/o problem. The problem is that whenever the computer returns from sleep/hibernation I always lose my internet connection. I get a message saying "connected 100Mbps, status: limited or no connectivity". When I hit the repair connection nothing happens, I also disable/enable my network adapter with no luck. Just today I reinstalled the network/chipset drivers from my motherboard's website. Again, no luck.
I lose connection and the only way to fix it is to restart the computer....which in turn takes me to the black screen (no cursor, nothing).

So, can anyone please suggest something?

Thank in advance.

Issue 1 i would say that the hard drive is starting to die. If you have to do a check disc on it every time you shut it down then something id not right. Either that or your haev file coruption on the drive.

#2 sounds liek something that should be resolved with updates. Have you checked for updated drivers for the ethernet card?

Left on 24/7 and maybe worn or simply ran too warm I would look at a possible hard drive problem or simply a need to reformat or delete the current primary to see a good clean install of Windows if that saw a bad install. When something doesn't go on fully Windows will see a world of problems come up.

I run my PC 24/7 and have for the last 5 years. I have not come across any issues like this. So i dont think it is a wear and tear issue. At least not from that.

Not from simply running 24/7 but the environment like a dusty case seeing higher drive temps or cold starts play rough on drives. How well a system is maintained will usually be the main factor is seeing a drive last for years or fail prematurely.

Good Grief! was the expression when looking inside one case where a drive I loaned out to someone was seeing all types of problems where even a repair install of XP was pointless! When going to swap out the 120gb ide drive to see a 200gb sata finally go in and run the entire board was nothing but a blanket of dust you peeled off with a good pair of pliers! :eek: :p

That's called total neglect there! But drives are known to simply go bad for no apparent reason at times as well as when seeing abuse in some way. When working with any older system you still have to go through the process of elimination for the most if hardware is suspected.

Thanks guys, yes I used to leave my comp 24/7 (folding), but I doubt that's the cause since my computer is 2 months old, I have a decent case and cooling etc.

I think I managed to get rid of the black screen by defragging and removing some crap from my startup programs on msconfig.
pic-1.png

For the lan driver, idk if I can get it by itself, what I've done all this time is I download the chipset driver for my MoBo which includes the lan driver.

If there is a way to get the lan driver individually I would like to know how.
If you guys can help me find it, this is the MoBo I have: GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)

The one I have installed is the one listed as: NVIDIA MCP55 Chipset Driver (include chipset\lan\sata raid driver) v9.16

cheers

For all drivers for that model board you simply in the box that says related links and click on the "driver" to end up at GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)

That's the main download page seen there for everything including the box for chipset/Lan/SATA-RAID seen there. The msconfig utility can really be a life saver at times for finding anything causing problems. Once you re-enable something with all else inactive you can generally spot a problem item.

For all drivers for that model board you simply in the box that says related links and click on the "driver" to end up at GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-M57SLI-S4 (rev. 2.0)

That's the main download page seen there for everything including the box for chipset/Lan/SATA-RAID seen there. The msconfig utility can really be a life saver at times for finding anything causing problems. Once you re-enable something with all else inactive you can generally spot a problem item.

Agreed about the msconfig utility. A bit of troubleshooting (although sometimes time consuming) can take care of nearly anything. As said, I would recommend you upgrade all of your drivers, even if you think they are not linked to the problem and continue to use the msconfig troubleshooting approach to narrow the boundaries of the problem.

Thanks for the replies;

As I previously said, the driver listed on the website is the one I have installed. I have the latest version too. (I downloaded and installed 2 days ago). I still have the problem of losing the connection after sleep/hibernation.

Should I perhaps try to download an older version of the driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom