XP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ste said:
The best time to install A service pack and many other updates is after a fresh format, before you install anything else.

At least in my experience.

Right on the money, that way you can isolate the problem much easier.

CrazeD said:
My system has never been 'attacked'. I use Firefox, which is more secure than IE will ever be. And so far, all these stupid service packs have done is screw me over.

I'll take the risk. It's easy to reformat, but it's a pain in the *** to do it again 10 minutes later when these SP's screw me.

In 5 years of being on the internet, I've never been hacked. I'm behind a routor and a hub, and even if I weren't..I really couldn't care less lol.

This has got to be the quote of the week. Firefox isnt secure. hence the updates it has had over the past few weeks. It was at 1.5 and then all of a sudden they released 1.5.0.3 or something. Which was 3 updates in less that 2 weeks time. Firefox is getting attacked as much as IE6 is now.

If you use SP2 already slipstreamed into your isntall you will notice a difference. I didnt think i would either. Till i did it. I had the same issue as you. But it was SP1 that was the problem. Not SP2 which corrected teh problem that SP1 created. So try SP2 and see if it causes an error. If not i can bet it was your SP1 that was the problem.

I have been on the net for over 12 years. I have never been hacked but i have been attacked. Viruses and Spyware are considered attacks. Being hacked is where your pc is taken over.

But the decision is yours......

I dunno, I reformat every 3 months or so, and I don't keep anything incredibly valueable on my computer..I really don't see what is so special about a few security updates.

Its like leaving your home door opened 24/7. You might go three years befoe someone decides to rob you, then all of a sudden when you least expect it, you get hit, and it will happens, more than likley it will be a virus. Since you dont have those updates, you are more than likely to receive those viruses because the updates were put out because of those viruses, exploits, etc. Just like the WMF fix that came out a few months ago. Its possible you can get it even if you have a firewall, FF, router, etc is NOT going to stop everything, I guarantee it. There is a reason for the updates, they dont put them out there for nothing. And there are updates in SP2 that you dont currently have on your system that you might like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom