XP Problem? DVD and CD Drives 'Disappeared' from My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodah12

Solid State Member
They're gone, at least from 'my computer', no drives listed. They're in the BIOS, so I went to device manager, and all my drives have the yellow exclamation point in front of them, including my virtual drives. I tried uninstalling them, and when Window's XP starts up, it identifies the new hardware, but it still doesn't show in 'my computer', and still has the yellow mark in device manager. I tried doing system restore, but it won't take. I'm figuring I might have a virus, but I've done all virus scans, anti-spyware, and malware scans, and my system's clean as far as they show. I few weeks back I clicked on a website, and a trojan virus came up on my Norton antivirus, and it said it couldn't be removed. Since that I've run Norton, and scanned, but no virus' show up.
I called NEC, one of my DVD drive's, and they referred me to this Microsoft support article: http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/ . I'm just very leery about editing my registry, as I've never done it before, and if I do something wrong, I could totally toast my system. Does anyone know of anyone who's had this problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have had this problem before, still do, with an older system that's running XP, i'll try the article out and tell you if it works.

P.S. Always make sure you BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY before editing, you can always restore it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom