XP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loner44

Solid State Member
I got a problem :(
I'm running XP and everything is getting slower and slower..For example opening a file folder" i get the hour glass for 15 to 20 seconds before it opens, or the Start menu gives me a white bar with the menu appearing a little later, sometimes 20 seconds later...sometimes i can click the drop down menu in IE and freeze the whole thing.....This is something that has progressed slowly and is now beginning to be a problem :( The internet speed and browsing seems to be fine..
i have
AMD 1195 mhz
128 ram
20 gig hard drive

service pack?

I've read issues about service packs...I checked and i don't have Service Pack 1 or 1a.....could this be my problem?
Is the service pack something i need?

microbell, has given you a good advice. and on top of that,..128 mb is insufficient for xp.

service pack 1 doesn't really boost up your computing experience. I think it has someting to do with IE per se. I've installed it once,..but i didn't really observe any performance gain.

you can do this three simple system tweaks

...you can eliminate automatic startup items by going to the run command tab...type msconfig and press ok. this will lead you to the system configuration utility window, under the general tab click or choose selective startup then go to the startup tab. then uncheck or deselect items that you do not need. be carefull in deselecting item under that tab,..since some of them are essential for windows to function properly...most of the items that you can remove are from third-party software that you have installed. in my case,...i left my firewall, anti-virus, drivers and other system files alone. restart after doing this. you can deselect them one by one to see what files are needed and what files can be deselected. if a particular software of process does not run,..then you can select that item again,..however,..this can be a very impractical and dauntin task.

another thing you can do is go to services icon under administrative tools. here you'll see the items that startup automatically with windows. turn them off by setting them to manual. right click on the particular service, choose properties, pull down the start up type box, and select to manual. some of the services you can turn off include,..automatic update, error reporting, indexing, messenger, nvidia driver help,..portable media serial number, task scheduler. don't turn off items that you use.

you can also right click my computer,..go to properties,..then go to advanced tab,...and click the settings button under performance,..then select adjust for best performance. you can even configure this to your preferd settings

these are just three things you can do to tweak xp,..however,..my first statement still stands...that 128mb is not enough for xp. goodluck and i hope the shortcuts work for you

As continue to use Windows Xp even after the suggestions made you are still going to notice that your system continues to progressively get slower.

*I'll delivish's comment and add a little*

128 MB of memory is not suitable for efficient running of windows Xp. What you can do in addition to what has been suggested is to increase the size of the page file space and reg size.

This you can access by:

Right Clicking on my computer....
Left clicking properties....
Click the Advanced tab at the top....
Under the performance option click settings....
Now Click the advanced tab at the top......

At the bottom of the now present options you should see Virtual Memory. Click Change...

Click custom and increase the size that it has been given.

Click ok

and restart your computer.

Yours with Help
Nastrodamus

thats another nice system tweak nastrodamus has given. ive set my initial and maximum at 1000MB

256 is basically the base to Nominal XP performance,, 512 is a sweet spot for average applications,,1gb is great for graphic laden apps and video editing,, quick guide to run by for XPpro,,,

One More Thing to all the Great Tweaks listed above...

KEEP IT CLEAN,,,

XP does system Restore Points EVERYTIME something changes on the system,, this can bog down your machine,, go into your Local Drive Properties and choose DISK CLEANUP,,once there,, do two things,, Clean up Your Disk of Cached info,, and then click on the MORE OPTIONS tab,, the bottom option is SYSTEM RESTORE,, if you click this,, you will delete ALL but the LAST good RESTORE POINT..

this can return MEGA space back to you and also free up the loading of the Rollback services etc, when it accounts for all the restore points,,

additionally,, XP requires to be DEFRAGGED on a REGULAR BASIS!,, this will indeed speed up the access to your drive and sort out all the info on your system,,,

Get RAM,,TWEAK away,, and CLEAN UP,, and you will see a NOTABLE change,, and your AMD Chip will be VERY happy!!

cheers,

as a minor note, also search for *.tmp files and delete them. It helps out in its own way...

In addition to what was added to this thread here is another one I had posted on XP that might help as well. Here is the URL to that thread. Read the warning before attempting.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4328

In addition to devlish96 changing startup settings using the MSconfiguration utility try using the CMD services.msc this will bring up a services window which essentially does the same thing as msconfig. However this will allow you to "permenetally" disable the tasks plus it gives a discription of what the file or program is used for so you know whether or not to disable it. Sometimes msconfig doesn't disable the program and it will eventually restart itself back up on windows startup. I hope this helps also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom