XP Pro won't load + other problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickstop

Beta member
i built the pc last week. yesterday i overclocked it to 2.2ghz (from 133x14 to 11x200) and it ran great (43C at full load). this morning i turned it on and updated the CD-r firmware because nero wasnt detecting it as a cd-r drive. after i updated it worked fine. now i just went to turn it on again and it posted, but it says Windows (XP Pro) failed to load. it gave me the option to either start in safe mode, revert to last known good settings, or to start windows normally. so i did the revert to last good settings, but it just stayed on the windows screen (with the scrolling blue bar) for like a minute then it just restarted itself. sometimes when i start it up, it goes straight to the windows screen without saying windows failed, but no matter what it always restarts itself. i turned back the CPU to original settings, but that didnt do anything. i thought maybe the new firmware was screwing something up so i unplugged the cd drive. no change. one time it said that it failed to post. i restarted it, and it posted that time. i then tried to load windows in safe mode, but it says that it failed to load user interface so i couldnt log in. i have no idea what the hell to do.

Barton 2500+ mobile
Asus A7n8x-e deluxe mobo
512 Geil pc3200
160gb Samsung HD 8mb buffer(boot)
120gb Maxtor HD 2mb buffer (storage)
liteon sohc-5232k cd-r/dvd combo drive

uuu that doesnt sounds good. I would run a repair on Windows XP and this should fix you right up unless its something related to the BIOS. I would run the the repair first. Just boot from the XP CD and you will see the option.

SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer, the Microsoft Windows XP start up screen appears, and then the computer restarts. The Windows XP logon screen does not appear.
CAUSE
This error can occur if the Kernel32.dll file is missing or damaged.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the Windows Recovery Console to extract a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file from the original Windows XP compact disc (CD). To do this, follow these steps:
1. Start the Recovery Console. If you do not have the Recovery Console installed, start it from the Windows XP compact disc (CD). To do this, follow these steps:
1. Insert the Windows XP CD and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
2. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the recovery console.
4. When prompted, type the Administrator password.
2. At the command prompt, type cd system32, and then press ENTER.
3. Type ren kernel32.dll kernel32.old, and then press ENTER.
4. Type map, and then press ENTER.
5. Note the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD. It is displayed in a format similar to the following:
6. D: \Device\CdRom0

7. Type expand drive\i386\kernel32.dl_ (where drive is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD), and then press ENTER. For example:
Expand d:\i386\kernel32.dl_ <ENTER>
Note the underscore character after the "L" in Kernel32.dl_

The following message appears:
Kernel32.dll
1 file(s) expanded.

8. Type exit. The computer restarts.
9. Remove the Windows XP CD and start the computer normally.

All this good info is great,, Im keeping a copy,,

but ,, I had a similar problem and it was due to my OC,, simply turned it down a peg ,, and all was well,,

My issues were infrequent post, missing hardware, sitting at the startup screen, and lockup,,

just a thought,,

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom