XP pro, whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekster

In Runtime
A friend called today and said if I had a pair of decent pc speakers , he would trade me a whole pc for them. I traded him my altec lancing set for a pc with a 533 celeron ,128mb sdram ,cd drive, zip drive and floppy also. It had xp pro on it. What are the advantages of the pro version?

I know that there are a few more security features in Pro then home, and it's way easier sharing files from one PC to another with Pro. So networking PC's is much easier. It's also the most pirated OS out there. That's all I know. Maybe someone else knows a few more things then I do.

XP home only allows simple file sharing, Pro allows you to set permissions easier but this does lead to potential security holes if you don't set it up right.

Pro also allows you to install the IIS plug-in so that you can run a webserver, ftp server etc...

In general you have that bit more control over your computer and over different users. Home is good for the general home user as it is pretty simple and harder to mess up. On the downside you are a bit restricted as to what you can do, but for someone coming from win98 it is not really noticeable since these options were not there before anyway.

Pro gives you more ability to manage security options and set permissions for different users. You need more of an understaning of what is going on to get it right and as a result if you dont know what you are doing you can mess up or leave your computer vaulnerable.

xp pro shouldnt be on that system. its too slow. I would downgrade to windows 98, which probably came with it originally. Your other system isn't that great either, no offense!

talldude123 said:
xp pro shouldnt be on that system. its too slow. I would downgrade to windows 98, which probably came with it originally. Your other system isn't that great either, no offense!

A version of 2KPRO would be ideal

Stick 256 meg ram in it and it's good for normal XP use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom