XP Pro with a Vista Recovery partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokernod

In Runtime
Ive looked all over, so a quick and easy question:

I have an older computer with a Vista OS and Recovery partition, can I put XP Pro on it and keep the Recovery Partition, and actually go back to Vista later?
or is that a stupid question and impossible, since Im a bit surprised that it hasnt been asked before now.

The reecovery partion has nothing to do with the running OS. It basically is the oem disk that use to come with computers.

So yha, you can toss on xp, and when you want to go back to vista, you can boot to the recovery partion and put vista back.

Well, thats my understanding.

While it can be done, the question is can it be done. Meaning are you 110% positive that there is XP Drivers for all the devices? Last thing you want to do is attempt to put XP on there just to find out there is no XP Drivers. Just to come here and ask and have us say exactly this same thing.

Well I kinda figured it could be done, but I didnt want to try before checking with the pros, I thought thats what the site was for, ....Advice. Wasnt intentionally trying to waste your time. Ive never had any real problems finding drivers before, and the system is just an old Compaq Presario sr2163wm. Though your absolutely right (as always, Mak) there are no listings for XP Pro listed as an OS for this computer (I had checked before). But its got a 60GB hard drive (I dont know) and 512mb of ddr2 thats factory. It could really use a lighter OS. Ive added XP to Vista systems before with only minor driver problems, but Ive never kept the Recovery Partition before. But If you think its going to be a pain then, I could really do without THAT. I was just hoping to get a little more out of it, and Vista is just huge.

Thanks for the Help Guys.

The main thing is the drivers. Since XP is not the same as Vista or Win7 then your going to have to make sure you can find drivers for that OS. Best option, get Belarc Advisor and see the make and model of the parts. Then go directly to the manufacturers website and see if they have XP drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom