xp pro, and vista home basic

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanx. I thought somebody would do that. I got vista really cheap though so I don't really care. Anyway thank you guys for that. Now I can probably play halo 2 on my desktop which is running windows xp home.

Thanx again. I still want to know how to run xp on my laptop dual booted with vista.

thank you. That sort of helped. The first link is what I did before and it sees vista and xp, but I can't boot on xp cause something is wrong with the boot loader or something. The screen flashes black before I can read what its asking for or I could've fixed this without tech-forums.

If you upgraded then there is no way. You will have to format and install Windows XP. There might be a Windows.old folder that you could possibly restore but that task is more difficult than jsut a quick format.

Really Norcent i have posted things like this several times. If you would look at some of the Dual Boot questions i have also give many, many, many links for this. You screwed yourself. There is no way you can just use the XP Disc to do a fixboot or fixmbr. YOU UPGRADED!!!! Your XP INSTALL IS GONE!!!! Format start again.

Anyway I upgraded to vista home basic update

XP is gone since you upgraded to Vista. If you just used a Vista DVD and isntall Vista side by side with XP then you would already have a dual boot system.

Ohh yeah the reason why your games are jumpy....YOU ARE ON BASIC WHICH IS NOT MEANT FOR GAMING!! Basic is just meant to be used on PC's that are only for web and email with some light music. You should have spent more $$ and got Home Premium. Then you wouldnt have this issue. So no matter what you will never be able to game properly on Basic. Hench the name BASIC. If it was menat to be used as a real OS it would have been Home Premium!

ok, thank you. The transformation pack isn't that great cause i tried it. Another reason why I wanted vista is to use flash drives as memory.

I have a windows xp folder and windows vista folder. Xp is under C:/Windows.old.

Vista is under C:/Windows

All the files are there, but I need to fix the boot thing. If i do the fixmgr in recovery console for xp pro will that mess anything up in vista or make things worse?

No a boot fix will not fix your problem. Having the XP install under windows.old means that you did a upgrade isntall and you XP install is GONE. As i have already said. Trying to fix the XP boot will brick your PC cause it will try to use C:\Windows as the boot directory which is VISTA's now. So basically you have 2 choices like i have already said...

Format and re-install XP or try to undo your Vista upgrade isntall and restore your XP install from the Windows.old folder.

Man i really wish people would listen to what i say...I hate having to repeat it twice when i said it the first time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom