xp pro, and vista home basic - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: xp pro, and vista home basic

orly? United-Underground » Halo 2 Cracked for Windows XP!

Apparently, somebody can't learn to use Google to get "good answers."

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
There and Back again

Dunno, but this might work as well...

HALO 2 XP Patch !!! ( WowLoader-0 2 rar ) : Games > Game fixes/patches - Mininova

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

thanx. I thought somebody would do that. I got vista really cheap though so I don't really care. Anyway thank you guys for that. Now I can probably play halo 2 on my desktop which is running windows xp home.

Thanx again. I still want to know how to run xp on my laptop dual booted with vista.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
There and Back again

AGAIN... Google is a powerful tool for those that know how to use it:

How to dual-boot Vista with XP - step-by-step guide with screenshots | APC Magazine

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide | APC Magazine

How do I... Install Windows Vista in a dual-boot configuration along with Windows XP?

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

thank you. That sort of helped. The first link is what I did before and it sees vista and xp, but I can't boot on xp cause something is wrong with the boot loader or something. The screen flashes black before I can read what its asking for or I could've fixed this without tech-forums.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Yek
T.F's Resident Cool Guy...

Send a message via AIM to Yek Send a message via MSN to Yek Send a message via Yahoo to Yek

And like i said a bit back, if you like vista's look get VTP (incase you diddnt actully google that it stands for "Vista Transformation Pack" and is available at Windows X’s Shrine Vista Transformation Pack )

Then you have the power of XP with that great look (or not?)

Cheers,
Old 01-05-2008, 05:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

If you upgraded then there is no way. You will have to format and install Windows XP. There might be a Windows.old folder that you could possibly restore but that task is more difficult than jsut a quick format.

Really Norcent i have posted things like this several times. If you would look at some of the Dual Boot questions i have also give many, many, many links for this. You screwed yourself. There is no way you can just use the XP Disc to do a fixboot or fixmbr. YOU UPGRADED!!!! Your XP INSTALL IS GONE!!!! Format start again.

Quote:
Anyway I upgraded to vista home basic update
XP is gone since you upgraded to Vista. If you just used a Vista DVD and isntall Vista side by side with XP then you would already have a dual boot system.

Ohh yeah the reason why your games are jumpy....YOU ARE ON BASIC WHICH IS NOT MEANT FOR GAMING!! Basic is just meant to be used on PC's that are only for web and email with some light music. You should have spent more $$ and got Home Premium. Then you wouldnt have this issue. So no matter what you will never be able to game properly on Basic. Hench the name BASIC. If it was menat to be used as a real OS it would have been Home Premium!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

ok, thank you. The transformation pack isn't that great cause i tried it. Another reason why I wanted vista is to use flash drives as memory.

I have a windows xp folder and windows vista folder. Xp is under C:/Windows.old.

Vista is under C:/Windows

All the files are there, but I need to fix the boot thing. If i do the fixmgr in recovery console for xp pro will that mess anything up in vista or make things worse?
Old 01-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

No a boot fix will not fix your problem. Having the XP install under windows.old means that you did a upgrade isntall and you XP install is GONE. As i have already said. Trying to fix the XP boot will brick your PC cause it will try to use C:\Windows as the boot directory which is VISTA's now. So basically you have 2 choices like i have already said...

Format and re-install XP or try to undo your Vista upgrade isntall and restore your XP install from the Windows.old folder.

Man i really wish people would listen to what i say...I hate having to repeat it twice when i said it the first time...

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

so basically microsoft sux

Closed Thread