XP pro sp3 disc installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I have tried to install a new xp pro sp3 disc on a new computer but have been getting errors in the installation. I have tried 3 different times but it says that the disc is missing some components and when it is final it does not work properly. I talked to microsoft but they are of no help. I finally talked to a tech person that asked me if I had another disc and I have an older sp2 disc. He said to install that but when I put in the key for my new disc it does not work with my older disc. I finally put in my old key and it worked fine. THe installation went off without a hitch but I won't be able to use my old key when I activate it. When I install the sp3 download will I be able to change my key to the new disc key? Can someone help me here? I have never had this problem before.

With the disc do a full format of the hard drive before you install. Not a quick format or leave the drive alone. Make sure you do a full format.

What are you talking about? The XP SP3 serial should work just fine with the disc. I have used my serials that work on XP SP2 discs with my XP SP3 disc. All came from MSDN. They were full retail copies. The serial i have is from April of 2007 and works jsut fine on my brand new XP SP3 disc that i jsut downloaded last week from MSDN.

When I tried installing the sp3 disc I got far enough into the installation that it brought me to the key boxes. The key worked fine when I was doing this with the sp3 and its key it's just that the disc is corrupt and it would not work fully later on.
When I installed with the sp2 disc and tried the sp3 disc key it would not allow it. The tech at MS said that it would not work either.
When I used the sp2 disc key it worked fine and installation went great. Now I need to update to the sp3 update and somehow switch to the sp3 disc key.

So let me get this straight you got yourself a copy of XP SP3, disc and serial. But the disc is corrupted?

How is that possible?

Plus i dont agree with the tech. Cause how is it i can use a 2 year old serial on a disc that was generated no more than 2 months ago?

There is a option on the XP Validation screen that allows you to switch serials and all the before you activate. But you have to make sure to update to SP3 first.

Sorry but this makes no sense to me. Cause to have a disc that is corrupt and a serial that is tied to only SP3 when i can use my serials from 2 years ago just fine....

Something about that just isnt right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom