XP Pro SP2 for Dell????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcintraining

Solid State Member
The installation was asking me to key in the 25 digits product key from my computers' COA and I keyed in them and clicked Next. Immediately I got an error with the Product Key is Invalid. I am using XP home edition. Even I tried to make a new Installation rather than upgrade. In that option too I was asked to type in the product key and when typed my product key it did throw me the invalid product key error again.

Is there any way I can get around this error?
I have a Dell PC.

You will need to contact dell to obtain a new/correct key. If I remember correctly Dell uses OEM keys rather then comsumer keys. If dell won't or can't help you. just download linux it's a free OS and with WINE out it will run most if not all windows apps.

pcintraining said:
The installation was asking me to key in the 25 digits product key from my computers' COA and I keyed in them and clicked Next. Immediately I got an error with the Product Key is Invalid. I am using XP home edition. Even I tried to make a new Installation rather than upgrade. In that option too I was asked to type in the product key and when typed my product key it did throw me the invalid product key error again.

Is there any way I can get around this error?
I have a Dell PC.

is your coa pro or home?

Re: Re: Re: XP Pro SP2 for Dell????

pcintraining said:
My COA is for Home

it should have worked.

never do that while connect to the internet. I've had instances where the net blocked the key. once the net block it, it usually stays blck until your next reformat.

also boot off of the cd instead of running an upgradewithin windows. you can only do a new install within windows if you select the advance options and pick another partition. use the key that came with that xp cd.

when you activate it, it won't let you. then you hit change product key. change it to the one on the side of your dell. it still might not let because window wga has issues with dell computers. but you can call the number and tell them that you reinstalled windows and they can fix it for you

Re: Re: Re: Re: XP Pro SP2 for Dell????

EricB said:
it should have worked.

never do that while connect to the internet. I've had instances where the net blocked the key. once the net block it, it usually stays blck until your next reformat.

also boot off of the cd instead of running an upgradewithin windows. you can only do a new install within windows if you select the advance options and pick another partition. use the key that came with that xp cd.

when you activate it, it won't let you. then you hit change product key. change it to the one on the side of your dell. it still might not let because window wga has issues with dell computers. but you can call the number and tell them that you reinstalled windows and they can fix it for you

I will give it a try and if all fails I will call dell for help. Thanks alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom