XP Pro SP2 for Dell???? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question XP Pro SP2 for Dell????

The installation was asking me to key in the 25 digits product key from my computers' COA and I keyed in them and clicked Next. Immediately I got an error with the Product Key is Invalid. I am using XP home edition. Even I tried to make a new Installation rather than upgrade. In that option too I was asked to type in the product key and when typed my product key it did throw me the invalid product key error again.

Is there any way I can get around this error?
I have a Dell PC.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You will need to contact dell to obtain a new/correct key. If I remember correctly Dell uses OEM keys rather then comsumer keys. If dell won't or can't help you. just download linux it's a free OS and with WINE out it will run most if not all windows apps.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: XP Pro SP2 for Dell????

Quote:
Originally posted by pcintraining
The installation was asking me to key in the 25 digits product key from my computers' COA and I keyed in them and clicked Next. Immediately I got an error with the Product Key is Invalid. I am using XP home edition. Even I tried to make a new Installation rather than upgrade. In that option too I was asked to type in the product key and when typed my product key it did throw me the invalid product key error again.

Is there any way I can get around this error?
I have a Dell PC.
is your coa pro or home?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Re: XP Pro SP2 for Dell????

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
is your coa pro or home?
My COA is for Home
Old 01-28-2007, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Re: Re: XP Pro SP2 for Dell????

Quote:
Originally posted by pcintraining
My COA is for Home
it should have worked.

never do that while connect to the internet. I've had instances where the net blocked the key. once the net block it, it usually stays blck until your next reformat.

also boot off of the cd instead of running an upgradewithin windows. you can only do a new install within windows if you select the advance options and pick another partition. use the key that came with that xp cd.

when you activate it, it won't let you. then you hit change product key. change it to the one on the side of your dell. it still might not let because window wga has issues with dell computers. but you can call the number and tell them that you reinstalled windows and they can fix it for you
Old 01-28-2007, 12:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: XP Pro SP2 for Dell????

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
it should have worked.

never do that while connect to the internet. I've had instances where the net blocked the key. once the net block it, it usually stays blck until your next reformat.

also boot off of the cd instead of running an upgradewithin windows. you can only do a new install within windows if you select the advance options and pick another partition. use the key that came with that xp cd.

when you activate it, it won't let you. then you hit change product key. change it to the one on the side of your dell. it still might not let because window wga has issues with dell computers. but you can call the number and tell them that you reinstalled windows and they can fix it for you
I will give it a try and if all fails I will call dell for help. Thanks alot.

Closed Thread