XP Pro Repair Wont Boot URGENT - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

It's ok, Im not going to hld you responsible lol. But Im just saying, because I don't know how long its going to be before Im going to be able to get ahold of a secondary HDD.

And, If I were to go against your word, and reinstall windows, do you think it would even fix the boot problem in the first place? BEcause im sure as hell not going to risk my files, if you KNOW that its not going to make any difference.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

*Bump* Anyone else? Can somebody give me a STRAIGHT answer please?

Old 10-26-2005, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

if you have a linux knoppix 3.9 cd (it can run from the cd) and a dvd burner, you can burn those files to dvd

Knoppix 3.9

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knopp...5-05-27-EN.iso
Old 10-26-2005, 10:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Techie

120 gb across 5.7 gb dvds is quite a bit. Pluss I dont really know how to function Linux. I COULD use my second computer, and stick the DVD burner in that, but as I said, 120gb over 5.7gb dvds is quite a few dvds and even more time. The second computer only has a 20 gb HDD so I wouldnt be able to use that to backup either. This laptop has a 5gb HD so thats DEFINATELY out of the question.

My friend has offered to come over on Friday and let me backup 93.6 gb of files lol. Seems like so long though. Lame.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

for future references never have your data on the same partition as your OS as RicoDirenzo said.

I have like 400gigs on this computer, yet my OS only take up 20 gigs

Old 10-29-2005, 07:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Alright, I backup my files on my friend's comp, and reinstalled windows OVER my old windows, everything was working fine, except one thing, my motherboard fan. I need my motherboard drivers, but the compouter verheats and wont stay on long enough to install the driver.

Need the driver to cool it down, need to cool it down to get the driver. So I'm in major predicament here, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
TMT
True Techie

If you have a domestic room fan, then open up your case and blow air on to your whole system with that. That will give you loads of air flow. It'll probably cool your system cooler than it does stock.

TMT.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:30 AM   #18 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I would advise against that. Yes you will get the arflow and it might cool it off but from someone who has taken A+ Core Hardware you will do more damage to your system than good. If you do this do it so you can get the driver installed then shut down immediately. Cases are made specifically designed for airflow with fans installed. When you open them up and run them you change the design and therefor advertly affect the airflow. In turn it causes more damage over a period of time sine it was meant to work the way it was designed. It gets really complicated but i only suggest you do this to get drivers installed or for about 10 minutes TOPS.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 10-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
TMT
True Techie

Yes, Makaveli213. That's exactly what I was suggesting him to do; to cool it down while he installs the driver. Then, when he reboots, the motherboard fan will have regained operation.

I wasn't suggesting that he replace his internal cooling altogether with it.

TMT.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Okay sorry. I misread the post just a bit. I know that nobody would intenitally suggest this but sometime people forget to mention what can happen.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread