XP Pro repair problem(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I am working on an old computer for a co-worker. All he told me was that he couldn't use it because of all the pop-ups. Once I got it home and fired itup...

The main thing is that his copy of Windows is not genuine. it has the logo on the sign-in screen and everything. The one time I was able to actually get into the computer it did have all kinds of things popping up. I went through MSCONFIG and turned everything off. I then decided to leave it alone until I got a genuine copy/serial for Windows (XP Pro).

Tonight I tried to repair the installation (it wouldn't progress past login, as when I click and account it would sit there showing the cursor as selecting a link but it wouldn't go on). It went through the process, took the new serial. When it booted, it gets to the first screen (went with a SP3 disk) I click next and it gives me ye ol' hourglass and does not progress.

Part of the problem could be the rig (1.7 P4), but I'm getting no HD activity or anything. I tried killing it and rebooting and it went back to the old installation (I would guess since the repair had not been finalized).

I would just boot into the old installation and replace the serial if it would go into it, but it won't.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Wipe the original copy off for a clean install with the new SP3 disk. There's likely too many problems with the present installation or the drive itself is now starting to go.

You may also want to run the check disk with repair option as well as a drive diagnostic tool from the manufacturer to see any bad sector or problems with the drive heads are found. Plus a good run of memtest may reveal faults with the memory installed.

More then likely besides a possible need for a fresh battery on the board the copy of Windows on now is too polluted and needs to dumped. These would be the first thoughts on that.

It's not my rig or I would wipe it. :D I will see the guy tomorrow at work, so I will go voer his options then. I thought about trying check disc, as well as trying to get it into safe mode to replace the serial but the guy has been letting someone else surf with it with an outdated AV, so it is probable shot.

At least you think like I do. That means we're both off in the head.

It's touchy at best there since you lack the final say on it. You could probably get by with a clean install leaving the primary intact but...? I think you know the rest there. All you can do is make sure the hardwares are still good.

Meanwhile I'll have to see if I get past six months without seeing some partitions redone or wiped entirely. I'm always working on some custom setup. :p

You could just partition. You could just install over that XP as well. There are many things that can be done other than whipping the drive. But most of them are more time consuming than it is worth.

Mak,

If Trotter were to install a legit XP installation to another partition, would he then be able to save and transfer important data from the "broken XP" to the fresh install ? That could be a handy thing to Trotter's client.

It doesn't sound like installing the legit copy of XP over the original would work as well as a clean install on another partition, to me anyway.

Yes there are ways to get the data off of there. Taking ownership of the files would get past the User Account Password issue. Not to mention he could just use a Restore Point to get it back to working condition then go into Safe Mode and use Osiris's Guide from there and clean the PC then update it to the current stuff.

There are many options other than a reinstall. It is just at this point a Reinstall seems to be the easiest.

The problem with seeing a second install(fresh) to second partition for the eventual removal of the first once things are transferred over would that Windows would see itself as D. If the first was later removed you would end up reinstalling over the fresh copy to have then become C. not good!

Once everything was backed up provided nothing is bugged with a virus the obvious preferred choice is seeing a fresh primary with a legit copy of Windows. But... you are in a tuff spot with no shining light there for the moment. This is something your coworker would have to agree on before anything could be done.

Not true. If you install from the CD you can get the new install as C:\ just couldnt install it to the C:\Windows Directory. Would have to change the name to C:\WinXP or something else. But you still could have it as the C:\ drive easily.

As i said there are many things that can be done. Reinstall is just the easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom