XP pro install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michowski

In Runtime
Im trying to install windows xp pro in my dads computer. Everything is fine untill it starts to copy setup files. I get to 7% and it hangs on cinemst2.sys. I cleaned the disc and still nothing. I tried to googles this problem but didnt come up with anything. Any idea's on how to resolve this?

When you go thru the install setup steps do you select to format with a full format or a quick? I would suggest a full format as it also does a check disk at that time and marks bad sectors and such on the hard drive and skips over them when it starts the install.

Sounds like this is what is needed.

I at first did the full format. Hung up right after that. I then just did a quick format after I cleaned the cd and same thing.

On another note, I decided to stick my vista cd in to see if that would load up as well and it doesnt. It freezes as well. My reason for formatting is because I got my dad a new motherboard. Its a gigabyte ep45-ud3r. Ive used the book to go through the bios and I believe I got everything correct. Im really at a loss.

Dose it hang for a while then says something like "Error copying file XXXXXX.YYZZ" or is it a dose the installer stop working altogether.

So no matter if it is a full or quick format it stalls? Like Saxon asked is it the Error copying file error or is it that the process stops altogther?

No error message, it just freezes at that spot. Once it goes to copy that sys file, instant freeze.

Is there any scratches or anything on the CD? Sounds like there is something at that spot that is preventing the copy of that file.

cd is completly clean. I ran is through hand held disk cleaner and I also made an iso and burned another disk. Same thing still. I did the repair and did a chkdsk scan and it says im in good condition. Its gotta be a hardware issue but its a near new computer.

bad ram, cd rom drive or scratched cd

I put 4 gigs of my ram in and problem solved. It had crucial memory in it and I gotta say im done with them. Past year I had 3 computers with problems and they all turned out to be crucial memory causing the problems. OCZ all the way now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom