XP PRO Freezes on NEW COMP???? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to sbcirclepants

ok, this is a system i built for gaming.

I have a side panel fan, dual hd fans, cpu fan, and a temporary 6inch external fan. According to my bios, my temp. is running at 112Farenhierht with no usage tho i havnt cheked it out tooo much.

Motherboard:Elite Group 848P-A
CPU Intel Celeron D 2.66 gig overclocked to 3.6 Gig

Memory:512mb ULTRA
Hard Disk Manufacturer:Maxtor IDE
Capacity:160
Operating System:Windows XP PRO w/sp2
Networked: No

ALSO note in my previous post, i reinstalled and reformated, but no cigar....ALL Components are new exept the graphix card wich i ripped from 1 of my other computers, but it must work becuz atleast i can get to desktop with no probs....i will try memtest now and that L tell me if my mem is good. It SHOULD be, its new

psu: OCZ 500W
Old 10-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

http://www.memtest86.com/

i downloaded the latest:3.2, but i cant make head or tail of the readme.txt.....could u guys explain it in english?

Old 10-03-2005, 09:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

never overclock an intel celeron.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=29586

I bout it with the mobo already oc and its cheaper
Old 10-03-2005, 11:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

you must burn the memtest 86.iso file to a CD then boot off it and run the test for at least 8-10 hours, 1 pass is not enough.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Did you do that oc in one move or slowly take it up? Thats a pretty big move. try going back to stock and see if is stabilizes. To eliminate the oc as the problem. then take it back up slowly. ps what type of psu are you funning? wattage?

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

if my computer wouldn't act right, I wouldn't overclock at all
Old 10-04-2005, 07:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Techie

Hey, dont trash me for oc. and dont hijak this thread to the topic of oc a celeron....I tried reinstall of xp pro in a diff format. it started up the first time and ran and then monitor went black and a message came up : Mode Not Supported....this is a good working LCD monitor so its nota prob...i really wonderif my grafix card needs a newer driver in safe mode?

ps. i boght this cpu in a combo ALREADY OVERCLOCKED. It was tested bfor i got it....
Old 10-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
TMT
True Techie

Well, I don't mean to flame you; but, a Celeron for gaming?

Anyway, it definitely sounds like your overclock is making the system stall. Do as others have said and test the system with the processor running at its stock speed. The overclock you have achieved is a pretty big step to make without performing all sorts of benchmark tests during the stages of the process, right the way up until you haved reached a stablisation boundary.

Also, I know you're going to come back with "But I didn't overclock it!" or something. But, just enter the BIOS and drop the system back down to its stock speed and see what the result is. If theses crashes are a result of the overclock (which a highly suspect), then whoever pre-overclocked it for you, and stated that it was stable, must be a novice to the world of computer technology. Either that, or they conned you.

TMT.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by sbcirclepants
Hey, dont trash me for oc. and dont hijak this thread to the topic of oc a celeron....I tried reinstall of xp pro in a diff format. it started up the first time and ran and then monitor went black and a message came up : Mode Not Supported....this is a good working LCD monitor so its nota prob...i really wonderif my grafix card needs a newer driver in safe mode?

ps. i boght this cpu in a combo ALREADY OVERCLOCKED. It was tested bfor i got it....
don't help him anymore. he wants to catch an attitude when we are trying to point him to the obvious.

I'm hijacking the thread, because he don't want to hear the answer to his problem. he will get no more help from me

Closed Thread