Status
Not open for further replies.

theholderof4

Beta member
I shut off my computer while Norton 360 was scanning for viruses, and since
then, my laptop doesn't start up. I get the standard message telling me
windows was shut down incorrectly, and if I would like to start in safe mode,
safe mode with connection port enabled, safe mode with wireless network
enabled, last setting that worked, or normally.

No matter which option I select, the windows logo (with the black
background) appears, so it seems that windows is starting. But then the screen turns blue for a split of a second - so I can't read the error message that appears on that screen - the computer restarts, and keeps rebooting.

I have lenovo, so I tried rescue and recovery. The computer doesn't
recognize it has a hard drive, and says it's corrupt or not functioning.

Any help would be appreciated!

You corrupted the hard drive and your windows install. You will need to use the XP CD and do a repair install. Shutting it down during a virus scan will corrupt any system. That is why it is recommended not to.

You corrupted the hard drive and your windows install. You will need to use the XP CD and do a repair install. Shutting it down during a virus scan will corrupt any system. That is why it is recommended not to.

thanks for your response. lenovo didn't send an xp cd, so how would i reinstall it?

You will have to eiher create on or get your hands on one. There is a topic in the Windows Index that tells you how to install XP without the CD. Look for that in that thread that is stickied here.

You will have to eiher create on or get your hands on one. There is a topic in the Windows Index that tells you how to install XP without the CD. Look for that in that thread that is stickied here.

thanks. and if i reinstall, is there any chance that my files/folders will remain?

No. A reinstall will get rid of all your files if you format the drive. If you dont you will keep the stuff ut will have 2 widows installs on teh drive and have all the same being used by the install that is corrupt not available. Do the repair install.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

A repair install will do fine. Possibly all you need to do is boot to the recovery console and do chkdsk -r then fixboot and fixmbr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom