XP Pro Device Manager access error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishkyn

Beta member
XP Pro

Help! Have XP Pro installed on both PC's, but alas, one would not allow me to access the Device Manager to install my Drawing Board. Further checking revealed the "Search" was not working !

Simple, reinstall the XP......WRONG!!! I am now in a never ending circle!
Resume Setup....Fatal Error, cannot find the file asms........give the address..........great........nope......STILL cannot......then goes to the ERROR LOG........restarts......and once again am in the Resume Setup!
Once or twice in playing with it.......was able to get the message that I had 3 choices....
1 Resume set-up
2 Cancel/end installation
3 Return and install the complete program!
Again.........WRONG...........am back on the old merry go round once again.....
Yes am networked.........but disconnected the PC from the network!
Any ideas other than out the window????? or a Ball Bat????
Mish

When you say that you couldn't access Device Mnager, does this mean it didn't open or that it was blank when you di open it?
if so set the startup type for Plug and Play to Automatic. To do this, follow this:

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
Double-click Plug and Play.

If you receive a Configuration Manager message, click OK.
In the Startup Type list, click Automatic, and then click OK.
Close Services.
Restart the computer.
Stuff should now show up in Device Manager.

Hi muradtalukdar,
It said that I did not have permission nor the authority to access the Device Manager! Cannot remember the exact wording!
I then tried to look for some help in the "Search" and it also said I did not have the authority to access it!
So thinking that as 95 and 98 deteriorate over time and I did not do the original install on the PC, thought.......reinstall.....which got me back to the circle!!
I have since put in the boot disks for Win 2000 but cannot get rid of a partition that was created when I used the FDisk.........grrrrrrrrr...keep telling it that I do NOT want the 8 mb partition...alas it does not listen to me...........groan!!

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom