XP Pro CDKey Not Working - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default XP Pro CDKey Not Working

Big Issue here
Trying to do a reinstall of a mates computer when I type in the CDkey that is on his box (OEM Software Sticker) I get told that the CD was typed incorrectly. It is 100% correct have had another person check that I typed it correctly.
Originally I started installing home not realizing he had a license for Professional and the CDkey didn't work, looked at lable to notice XP Pro, so I installed pro.
When I typed the key in for that it didn't work either so I blown if I can work out what the problem is.

I have searched the net and microsoft site with no solution or anyhting close to being my issue.

Can someone please help.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

This all has a lot to do with the media...is this the orignal media that came with this computer? Allow me to elaborate a bit more. You simply cant have an XP Pro CD-KEY and ANY XP Pro CD and have it work...There are many variences of XP Pro from OEM, Retail,Microsoft, Vendors, Volume License Editions, Enterprise Editions etc etc...

So say I gave you my XP PRO CD which is a Volume License version and you typed your CD-KEY in while launching the install from my CD it will not accept it because it is not a Volume License CD-KEY, but most likely OEM or Retail.

What type of computer is this a Dell or something or custom built?

Old 06-17-2006, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

From the shop sort of PC not custom.

****, I contemplated that but I have done like 5 reformats (with different discs) of my PC and a million of XP installs and never had this issue so I didn't think.

But thankyou so much for the help, yeah the disc I used wasn't one that would normally come with a home PC, for a large enterprise I think.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Let me be sure I understand. The XP CD you are trying to use you have used on your computer and others and had it work, but it wont work on this one? What CD-KEY did you use to install it on yours? I would use that one again on your friends PC rather than what is on the side of the box. He still owns a license for PRO so what the ****..
Old 06-17-2006, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No no... that was XP home with completely different discs wasn't refering to this.

But I now have another issue.
We do not have the original disc and not sure where it is.

What can be done to get this resolved (how do I know what I am looking for when getting another disc.) or another alternative?
Old 06-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

There are other alternatives, but they are looked down upon by this community.. if you want to hear what I have to say about that PM me we will get you all taken care of

Closed Thread