XP Pro Boot Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jowens

Baseband Member
Hey everyone,

I'm having a serious issue. I built a PC with part from Newegg over the past week. I noticed that when I would boot windows every once in awhile I would get a funny message along the lines of "there was a problem with the system registry file. Windows has recovered a previous version. Press ok to continue." Not sure of the exact wording because I didn't write it down. However this would appear at the main startup screen where you click on a user icon to log in.

I would click ok and everything would boot and proceed as normal. This morning the error happened and I clicked ok. Then I clicked on my user icon - the screen switches to black like it is going to log me in and then the whole pc reboots and the user log on screen appears again (however no message appears about the system registry). If I select a log in icon again the machine will reboot.

I tried booting off of my windows install disk. I disabled all of my other boot up devices in my bios except for my DVD drive. The boot up process gets to the message saying Press any key to boot from CD. I press any key and it doesn't boot from the CD it still boots from the hard drive so I run into the same log in issue.

Can there be a problem with a USB keyboard not being recognized at this point in the log in? When I run memtest 86 I am also not able to push esc to exit the test I have to turn off the power and reboot. However, I can push del to enter my BIOS during startup. I can also push esc to enter the boot menu during startup. However if I enter the boot menu the keyboard stops being responsive and I can not scroll to select boot options. I have to power off the pc. Weird?!

Any thoughts on my issue. I am thinking that I have to boot off of my XP install cd and do a repair of my OS installation. But what would cause the error message in the first place?

Thanks!

Your keyboard is definetly one of your issues. Try replacing it with a PS2 or see if there is a setting in your BIOS to enable USB at boot and then reload the OS.

I will try if I can get it again. Unfortunately it did it frequently and I kept hitting ok and it would always boot normal. Now it is in this endless loop when I try and boot - after I click a user to log on as the screen goes black and the PC reboots. The message hasn't popped up again. I should have written it down before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom