XP PC Will Not Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkttt87

Baseband Member
Hi,
Recently, some updates were installed on my XP Home PC, via Windows Automatic Update. I was told one update was quite large, around 80MB. After the updates were installed, the usual restart was needed and that was done. The computer went into the normal boot process, showing the blue screen with the manufacturer's symbol, then a black screen, then the usual "Loading Windows" screen. Oddly enough, it did not say "Windows Home Edition" like it normally will, nor did it say "Windows Pro", but the little scrolling bar below the symbol was blue, like Pro uses instead of green. After about a minute, it went on to the black screen with the little underscore at the top and flashed a blue screen with some text on it. (It flashes so quickly, I'm unable to read what the text says.) Then, after that, it started all over again. It just sat there and did this whole process over and over and over again as long as I let it. I'm unable to press any keys or type in any commands to alter the process. The computer did not come with any kind of XP disks or CDs. What to do? I really don't want to have to take this machine in to a shop someplace. There must be a way to get into DOS mode or something so I can take a look at what caused this problem. Thanks for any help.

Nope, cannot get into safe mode. No combination of any keys gets me anywhere during that bad boot process. Will go to bootdisk.com though and see what they've got. :confused:

Okay, went and found the download, did that, made the disks and got a command prompt up on the PC. But now the question is, how can I access the System Restore console from there??? I want to restore the PC to a point before the updates were installed and I'm fairly sure that the update was Windows new SP2. :rolleyes:

I've figured out what that odd blue screen said. I was finally able to get into the menu that lets you boot in Safe Mode (though none of the options in that menu did anything but restart the boot so they were no good). But, the text on the blue screen stated that the winsrv file could not be located. I checked through the Recovery Console and a winsrv.dll file is in c:\windows\system32\ so it's there. That's where it is on my PC so I know that's where it belongs. Perhaps something in the registry is corrupted? It seems that this file, whatever's wrong with it, is what has been causing the boot to fail.

Well, when the screen came up with the Windows logo on it, I just hit F8. Basically, I just kept hitting F8 throughout the whole faulty boot process till the screen came up. ;)

kkttt87 said:
Well, when the screen came up with the Windows logo on it, I just hit F8. Basically, I just kept hitting F8 throughout the whole faulty boot process till the screen came up. ;)

What screen? I just tried that and got a few new options but none of them worked, my system still hung at the boot screen :(

Eh, can't tell ya' that ninja. All I know is that when the black screen with the Windows logo on it came up with the little scrolling bar beneath, I hit F8 and got another screen with the option to Start in Safe Mode, to start in Safe Mode with Network Options, another to restart using the last known good settings, to restart Windows normally and several more. But beyond that, I can't help you because none of those options did anything for me but restart the boot process and that got me absolutely nowhere. Sorry. :confused:

kkttt87 !
try this way :
From the Start menu's Run dialog, enter the command MSConfig. Click on the BOOT.INI tab and check the /SAFEBOOT box. Now when you boot, Windows will go into Safe mode. Naturally, when you no longer need Safe mode, you'll repeat the process and uncheck that box.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom