XP opens to "My Computer"??

Status
Not open for further replies.
daveppeters said:
Well, you could always go with the tried and true method of fixing Windows Problems -- "Format c:\"!! ;)

You know, back in the mid-80's we were running NEC desktops with some sort of NEC-DOS and if you typed "Format" it assumed you meant the C drive and it didn't bother to ask, just went ahead and did it!!! Don't ask me how I know! :p

Actually to be more precise, it defaulted to your current drive. But if you wanted to format a floppy you certainly couldn't already issue that command from an unformatted floppy... DUH. Not too bright. And as a side note, I had the biggest HDD in our company... a 20Mb drive!!! Yee Haa!!

Okay, anyone remember this thread?? ;)

***New Update***

I now know what caused this to happen in the first place... It was the installation of the drivers for the Soyo "Bay One AVI Plus" 5-in-1 card reader. I don't know WHY it did that to me, and I still don't know HOW to stop it from happening, but at least I know WHAT.

NOW, can anyone help me figure out how to stop it from opening up to show "My Computer" and all the disk drives (of which the 5 slots in the card reader are ones) each time upon bootup?

originally posted by: apokalipse

well maybe its somewhere in the registry go to start, run then type regedit. when it opens go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
entVersion\Run then if you can find "My Computer" delete it from the registry

If you happen to delete it, wouldn't it not work anymore.

I think it has to do with a program likeSystem Mechanic that deals with My Computer.

Guy said:
If you have My Computer open when you reboot, or right after you install something and it's open, it defaults to open it back on start up so you can continue where you left off.

This should only happen once though.

actually guy winXP will never open a folder up on reboot unless a program explicitly tells it to which in this case it is the problem he is having. having winxp open a folder up at reboot like win98 would cause a security problem i would think.

Max Paws i can tell you why you have this problem. it is from a bad installer, let me clarify: i installed a radeon video driver and i selected a custom install directory. the computer would always open up to the folder where the installer was at at bootup. since the ATI radeon video driver is always loaded at bootup, well you get it. the video card driver has a application that should have loaded in the system tray at bootup but fails and opens the driver installation folder.

i reinstalled the driver and when i left the default install directory alone no more popups. so i think you have the same problem. during a software/driver installation you changed a default directory and when the service tries to load up at boot it cannot find the files it needs to run at startup so it points to a folder and opens it up. this could be a video driver, virus scanner, anything that should be loaded at bootup.

a fix would be to type in the run box msconfig and deselect services that start up at bootup and see which is causing it, than reinstall that software but use default installation directory.

Actually, I agree with you that the problem is an errant installer. The installer at fault is the Soyo Bay One driver disk. I have installed/uninstalled a number of times to verify this.

Unfortunately I NEED this to get my Bay One to work... (although it's not working now). There are no options for WHERE to install, and because of the typical problems you mentioned, I ALMOST always allow the installation program to install in the directory it wants. The only exception I make to that rule is anything to be installed to the root directory... I won't allow that.

If I had to guess, I'd say the installer is overriding the Windows "flag" that directs Windows to either start with the previously open folders, or not. If I can find where in the Registry that flag is located, perhaps I can verify/fix that. Can anyone point me to that location in the Registry???

actually let me clrify some more, when it aksed me where to unpack the installer files it wanted to put them at the root. of coarse i am like you, we can't have things installed at the root of the C: drive right? the actual installation folder of my ati driver was in c:/ program files.

so what i'm saying is let it extract the installer files to the root of C: and then even if the program wants to install the actual program on the root of c: also than let it. you may have no choice but this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom