XP not always booting OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsisteve

Solid State Member
Hi, I am running Windows XP Home [SP2] on a Compaq Presario-s4200nx. I am having problems booting up. This is the second time this problem has arisen. The first time was about 6 mos. ago when I decided the best thing to do was reformat my HD. My computer worked fine up until about 2 days ago, when this same exact thing started again.....
It will take me to the menu screen where I have the options to pick from Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Debugging or whatever, Last config, start windows normally etc.
I tried booting from safe mode and doing a sys. restore to earlier dates with no success.
Sometimes my computer starts OK from choosing "start normally" other times it may take one or two tries. When it does start OK, it seems to take longer than normal, going thru split second things on the screen that I didn't normally see on a healthy startup.
I tried using my Recovery Tools CD, typing in the FIXBOOT command, with the result "new bootsector was successfully written".....no change/improvement in booting.
Then on the same CD I tried/typed "FIXMBR"...with the reply "this computer appears to have a non standard or invalid master boot record"....I did not wish to push my luck by going any further, with the risk of damaging sectors.
Any help would be appreciated...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom