XP no boot...gremlins mayhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzard34

Baseband Member
Ok so I guess its time for a reformat maybe...XP doesn't boot. It gets to the safe mode screen and no matter what option I choose the system reboots and returns to the same screen. So i boot up under linux instead and check the bootloader and it looks normal except it has the switches "/fastdetect" (i know that one is OK) and "/NoExecute=OptIn" Is that switch alright? I seriously don't know what is going on. This has happened before but i was able to fix it w/ the FIXBOOT command under the recovery console, but now that doesn't work. Dear Lord, WTF happened and how can I fix it??!

/noexecute=OptIn is a setting for computers with processors without hardware enforced DEP support which will enable software enforced DEP.

There are a couple of settings:
/NoExecute=OptIn (enables DEP for Windows system files)

/NoExecute=OptOut (enables systemwide DEP)

/NoExecute=AlwaysOn (enables systemwide DEP without pssibility of individual application exclusion)

/NoExecute=AlwaysOff (disables DEP completely)

I'm not sure what hardware you have, but it may be a problem described here:
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Data_Execution_Prevention__DEP_

I have an AMD-based system so i don't think i need that switch. In fact when i fixd it the first time, that switch DISAPPEARED. any other suggestions thx.

Run a repair on XP from the XP boot disk. Pretend like you are going to do a clean install of XP and bypass the very first Recovery Console screen...it will then search your drive for previous versions of Windows and detect it and ask you to push R if you wish to repair it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom