XP- no admin privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezhead18

Baseband Member
Hello all, I was doing some regular maintenance on my computer when I found that I could not change the startup programs. Windows was recognizing the account I was using as a limited account, not an administrator. This is the only account on the system, so it has to be an administrator account. What is stopping me from changing the startup programs?

Right click "My Computer" and select manage, then locol users and groups, users. There should be an Administrator account. Hopefully you know the password to this and can log in under that account and change yours.

the account i'm having the trouble with IS an administrator account, and its the only one on the system

And Im using XP HOME if it matters

I cant find local users in My Computer--> Manage either

Just cause it is the only account doesnt mean it has to be the Admin. Who ever set up the PC could ahve made it a limited account. It is known to happen.

You cant access those files cause you are not the Admin. You will have to reboot into safe mode and get into the Admin account.

Who ever set up the PC could ahve made it a limited account.

I built this PC from scratch, installed XP myself, and only created ONE account. To my knowledge, you always need at least one admin account on your system, so saying that it is the only account would make it an admin, right?

I tried booting up in safe mode, and logged on to the default "Administrator" account but was still unable to change startup programs. I also created another admin account, but that didn't work either.

No. They account created doesnt have to be a admin account. Vista doesnt create a admin account. It creates a power user account. Which still requires some Admin action with some tasks.

So you cant change anything. Even from within the Safe Mode. Sounds like something went bad. Where did you get this copy of XP from?

yeah, if you can't go into control panel- user accounts and log in as admin I might supspect malware too.

ran a few scans recently?

fast user switching service enabled? i think that is the only service required to switch user profiles, start-run-services.msc (type that & hit enter) make sure the service is started.....

not sure if this would work but if you have or want to install spybot S & D in the advanced section you can uncheck startup items....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom