XP and New HD! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djh6598

Solid State Member
Alright so I recently purchased a new HDD for my computer. I would like to install Windows XP on this new Hard drive and transfer some of my applications and games from my Old HD onto my new one. I want to remove Windows XP from my old HD but keep my old one in my computer and use it for storage, etc. How can I go about doing this?

Is it possible to use the license key for XP I have on my old HD and use it on my new HD? (I have an OEM version).

What is the best way to back up some of the files on my Old HD?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

OK... you would do best to either Ghost/copy the old drive to the new one, or install fresh. transfering programs just doesn't work. When a program is installed, it is recorded in the registry... without that Windows can't use the program. Copying a program over without installing it will be useless to you.

If your XP is screwed, use the new one to perform a repair. Boot from the disk, like you were going to instal. Agree to the license, hit enter (I think) like you are going to install, but choose the installed XP and the option to do a repair installation.

Otherwise, pull your old drive and install the new one. Format the new drive, install XP on it, and then install your other programs. Throw your old drive back in your comp, copy over any data files you want to keep, and then format the old drive. Set up your old drive as a secondary drive.

Hello,

Trotter is right. You will have to use Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to do what you want. Can't jsut copy the files over. You will miss the Registry Keys along with the profile fodlers taht are hidden along with anything else that the software installed.

To do a XP Reapri:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom