XP on my comp? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2004, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to bubba0315 Send a message via Yahoo to bubba0315
Default XP on my comp?

I am currently running 98, and am looking to upgrade my OS. I was thinking of 2000 or XP. I mostly use my comp for gaming, if that makes a difference. BUT... I am going to be building a comp this summer, so should I just wait, and stick with 98 for a little bit? This way I don't have to register two computers. Does an XP cd work for two systems? I have heard that it does, but it's not strictly legal. So idk for sure.

Help would be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2004, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I wouldn't advice you to upgrade. A clean install is always better because bugs from 98 can come to XP. XP cannot activate on two computers (on the legal way). I suppose you play games which are compatible with XP... So maybe it is better to stick with 98 for some time.

Old 05-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via ICQ to mdshort Send a message via AIM to mdshort Send a message via Yahoo to mdshort

I would use win2k simply because all windows xp is windows 2k with a pretty task bar, which I change back to classic anyways. Besides, Win2k isn't such a hassle to reinstall or move to a new pc.

I can't understand however, why they put such a big price on 2k and XP, when they're encouraging users to use windows instead of linux.

I have xp because it was installed on my pc when I bought it, but I would never pay the asked $180 price tag.
\"With every rise, there is a fall.\"

Need a good cheap host? Click Here
Old 05-23-2004, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to bubba0315 Send a message via Yahoo to bubba0315

Well I have access to Linux, XP, 2k, and ME (maybe not strictly legal, but ya). I would never do something illegal like use somebody elses OS disk . So I should put up with 98 as long as possible, or until I build my other comp, and get a new OS?

And all my games are compatible with XP (I think, they should be, cuz my buddy has mostly the same ones, and he uses xp)

Closed Thread