XP Media Center problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Default XP Media Center problem

OK, friend's laptop refuses to obtain an IP address. DHCP client service is starting, but not started. Looks like I need to do a repair install. BUT, no CD. Here's my question, if I grab one off the net and use it for a repair install using their key, will it work? If not, I'll format and install XP Pro. Unless somebody has an answer to the no DHCP client problem. And no it doesn't work using a static IP either. The router is fine because my laptop connects as does his desktop. Maybe I need to post this in the networking section as well.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: XP Media Center problem

Not sure about the IP error... but yes, if you d/l an ISO disc off of the 'net, and use the valid key that they already have, it should work.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 04-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

No need for the network section. You can use a disc off the net. As long as you have a legit serial.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Cool! I just can't figure out why DHCP won't start. I am leaning toward a Windows problem which is why I want to do a repair install. I downloaded the latest drivers for the NIC and wireless card and no dice there. It's just odd that one day it worked, then it didn't. I also put AVG on there and told him to let it run. I can't imagine a virus killing DHCP since viruses WANT to get out on the network.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Not necessarily. It could still get out while blocking him. It could use a odd port that you would not think of and block you from using the PC. So it could be a virus or spyware.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

may not need a redo...minor corruption

How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

Closed Thread