XP Media Center problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
OK, friend's laptop refuses to obtain an IP address. DHCP client service is starting, but not started. Looks like I need to do a repair install. BUT, no CD. Here's my question, if I grab one off the net and use it for a repair install using their key, will it work? If not, I'll format and install XP Pro. Unless somebody has an answer to the no DHCP client problem. And no it doesn't work using a static IP either. The router is fine because my laptop connects as does his desktop. Maybe I need to post this in the networking section as well.

Not sure about the IP error... but yes, if you d/l an ISO disc off of the 'net, and use the valid key that they already have, it should work.

No need for the network section. You can use a disc off the net. As long as you have a legit serial.

Cool! I just can't figure out why DHCP won't start. I am leaning toward a Windows problem which is why I want to do a repair install. I downloaded the latest drivers for the NIC and wireless card and no dice there. It's just odd that one day it worked, then it didn't. I also put AVG on there and told him to let it run. I can't imagine a virus killing DHCP since viruses WANT to get out on the network.

Not necessarily. It could still get out while blocking him. It could use a odd port that you would not think of and block you from using the PC. So it could be a virus or spyware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom