XP Media Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

resqtech

Baseband Member
Long story short. A XP MC PC got a virus. I removed the viruses (692) of them with Dr. Web Virus Removal Tool. Now the PC won't boot. No error, but just a black screen after it goes through POST. She doesn't know if she still has her OS disc, and it is a Dell, so good luck on replacement. How can I get this thing recovered without the disc?

IMO your best bet is to reformat. One of the virus's probably corrupted her windows explorer file so she can no longer see windows. I've had this happen a half dozen times or so. You best bet is to reformat at this point or do a repair installation since the windows files have been corrupted.

Since she has a dell they USUALLY have a recovery partition. What type of dell is this? Model number? Laptop / desktop? Which OS?

Press ctrl and F11 at bootup to get to the recovery partion. Then you will have to restore the computer to it's out-of-the-box state with this utility. Be warned this will delete all files and programs that weren't on the machine when it was first bought.

Well my OP still stands. If it is XP you'll be able to boot into the recovery partition and fix the computer from there. If it is Vista you'll have to get a Vista disc and reformat (as vista doesn't have a recovery option).

I did see that EricB posted a way to repair a Dell install of Vista - if I can find that i'll post the link. Either way you'll lose any/all information. So you'll want to backup the files (if you want to keep them) by using a Linux Live CD or taking the hard drive out and connecting it to another computer to pull the files off.

Edit: Here is the link to that thread i was talking about. I haven't tried this personally so i can't really give any advice in restoring Vista with Dell.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-restore-dell-vista-computer-store-bought-conditions-202893/

You are right Lex Vista's is f8 then advanced recovery

You could try any XP cd in recovery console and repair MBR,, Might work.

The OP said "XP Media Center Edition" not Vista.

if she has the Dell recovery partition that is the only solution besides a reformat.

you may be able to have Dell Tech support walk you through the recovery, they were good about that stuff back in the day, hence why their rep got so big.

Dell did not start the Recovery Partition till about 3-6 months before Vista's release. Since this has MCE 2005 on it i highly doubt that it will contain the Recovery Partition. Will have to get the MCE 2005 Media. No other way around it.

I have been able to boot the machine to the login window, but it appears to have a corrupt password file because I can not gain access to any of the profiles. Not even Admin. Does anyone know of a good work around to repair the password file to gain access to the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom