XP media center 2005 or vista 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernandosaez

Solid State Member
Please I would like your opinion.
I Have been using Vista Ultimate for the past year, I am fairly happy with it but I am kinda sick of the explorer frezzing every once in a while.

My specs:
2.4 ghz dualcore amd
4 gig of ram
700 mb video card ddr3
video capture card (not shure wich)

So how about media center 2005?
What I persive as negative is
1) not visually rich.
2) It wont let me use all my pc's potencial A) doest it really limmit my ram? does it limmit video ram?

So what would you do?

Thanks,
Fernando

Use vista and make sure and upgrade to sp1 if you have not yet. 32bit systems can use a total of 4gb of system and video ram and you have a total of 4.7gb so you would not use all of it.

Why don't you just reinstall Ultimate to see if that solves your problems?

And yes, you can get a 64bit version of Ultimate (just find a download for one, or borrow a disc from somebody), and use your existing key even if you have a 32bit version right now.

Thanks for your answer.

Maybe I expressed myself wrond. U have Vista 64 now.
The question is xp media center 2005 vs. vista ultimate 64.

I have reinstalled vista 64 2 times in the pasta and y always update it. So I dont think it will help much. Now I am at my dads (he lives in buenos aires) and he also has a 64 bit vista machine and he has the exact same problems.

It seems you guys rather stick to vista, am I right?

Opinions?

Yes i would stick with Vista. XP MCE doesnt offer you anything. In fact you will be losing. You will lose up to 1GB of your resources cause 32 Bit cant use it. So the real question is can you handle having resources that your OS cant use and live with it going to waste?

Thanks for your answer, yea I quess the final question is if xp would be faster even do it lost a gig of ram.
Any more opinions?

I do most of my stuff on mce 2005. I do only some stuff on vista 64. with some things the speed of vista 64 is simply amazing. I have a quad core pro with 6 gig of ram. on some things (lot of simple thing) it acts retardedly slow while xp blazes through those same simple things. I use both. but I use mce 90% of the time. it keeps me from having computer headaches

Thanks for the answer.
So that confirms some what, what I thought.

So the question is:
Does lossing 1gig of ram affect that much, especially considering that xp is faster than vista most of the time.

I heard the limmitation on xp is 3.5 gig not 3, can anyone comfirm?

Thanks...

Thanks for the answer.
So that confirms some what, what I thought.

So the question is:
Does lossing 1gig of ram affect that much, especially considering that xp is faster than vista most of the time.

I heard the limmitation on xp is 3.5 gig not 3, can anyone comfirm?

Thanks...

It can vary from system to system. Depends on your hardware config and a lot of other variables. With 4x1GB sticks, my system recognizes 3.5GB; with 2x2GB, it recognizes 3GB on 32bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom