XP MCE install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
OK, I have downloaded a copy of MCE for someone who has it on his laptop. Has a COA sticker on it. Tried to run a repair, it says the CD key is invalid. Well fine. Run Jelly Bean and it gives me a different number. Also invalid. Looked in the unattend.txt file, different number again and still invalid. Another key finder coughs up a 4th number which is ALSO invalid. Wht is going on with this thing??? Four different keys all bad. Why four different numbers and why ALL invalid? I may have to start drinking again.
I hate MCE.

this dl is of course non MS right? :p
what are you running jelly bean on? his installed laptop os?
in any event...the built MCE needs to be packaged to match his COA. His COA is specifically for WinMCE?

there are multiple numbers within the given installation packages, but certain codes that are used to match the given coa.

I do not use jelly bean but know what it is...I don't believe jelly bean knows what it needs to look for in this particular case

I agree with Tofu. Is the CPA sticker for MCE and not for XP Pro? MCE is juse a extension of Pro.

The sticker is for MCE I suppose. I never looked at that part. The OS is MCE though. And yeah I ran jelly bean on the installed OS.

Just cause MCE is installed doesnt mean that it is a MCE COA. ;)

the are 3 different kind of mce 2005 discs (not including dell gateway hp discs). 2 come in a 2 disc set, one come with 3 disc set. their key from one set don't work with a key from another set.

most of these mce computer do have a i386 folder though that you can use. I have del,l gateway, hp and 2 sets of the regular mce discs

Well i know that my MCE was a 2 disc set but i create 1 disc out of it and it works fine for me. But i was not aware of the several versions of MCE. I just knew of 2002 and 2005.

Well i know that my MCE was a 2 disc set but i create 1 disc out of it and it works fine for me. But i was not aware of the several versions of MCE. I just knew of 2002 and 2005.

no. there are 3 different mce 2005 xp retails. I use nlite to merge mine.

there are MRMSD2_EN and SETUP_DISK_1_MED (this one works on most keys) and MRMPFPP_EN 2005 MCE disc 1 discs. I intentionally left out disc 2 names of all three out since they all serve the same purpose. disc 3 is the update rollup pack

a MRMPFPP_EN disc won't work on a machine that had had been install with SETUP_DISK_1_MED disc and serial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom