XP Logon problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffeykid03

Solid State Member
on my other computer it wont let me log on into any my of account names...it goes to the desktop and a second later it goes back to the welcome screen...i have tried booting in safe mode and it still doesnt let me log on...anyone know what to do?

yeah i have the xp cd...i was running an anti virus software before this happened...my computer said something about the winlogon.exe when i tried to logon one time but now it doesnt say it anymore after that one time.

Winlogon.exe is the process that manages your logon and logout. Maybe the AV must be blocking it because it thinks it's register as a spyware or virus. There's a way to replace the winlogon.exe if it's bad from the cab file on the CD. I forgot how to do it right now.

You can boot into the recovery console, then do a cd\ to get to the root. then do dir *winlogon*.* /s for search for the file and determine where it's at.

Let me know what service pack you have on the computer, is it SP1 or SP2. Hopefully I can remember how to replace that file.

Forgot to say, I think if the problem is with the AV. You can boot into recovery console and rename or delete it so that it doesn't boot up or function. This would probably allow you to get back into the desktop to completely remove the software. What I mean is delete the folder or rename it where ever it's installed, usually in the program file folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom