XP logging on user problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default XP logging on user problem

Please help!
I turned on my desktop, which runs windows XP, and got to the screen that says "to begin, click your user name" - the problem is that there are no user names to click! I tried running in safe mode and I tried to start with "last known good configuration" and anything I have done just takes me back to the same user screen that has no users. I don't know how to get anywhere to even try anything else!
Please, if anyone has any idea what I should do, please let me know. I am stuck without my desktop.
Thanks,
Diane

Old 11-11-2004, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

at the login screen press CTRL-ALT-DEL. and enter your username and password manually. then go to user settings and see if you can change anything there

Old 11-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

oops forgot... u have to press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice to get to the manual login screen.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't have a password set. The manual login tells me to check my domain name...
Old 11-11-2004, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Type "Administrator" as username. Probably without password. And try to change the user options from that account.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I get the same results when I use "administrator" as the user name. I tried it when I start it normally and when I start it in safe mode.

Any other ideas to get in the back door?
Old 11-11-2004, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

On the login screen is there an Options button? What are you logging in to? A domain or the local machine?
<a href=\"http://www.mythlogic.com\">http://www.mythlogic.com</a>
Old 11-11-2004, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: XP logging on user problem

Quote:
Originally posted by DianeInOz
Please help!
I turned on my desktop, which runs windows XP, and got to the screen that says "to begin, click your user name" - the problem is that there are no user names to click! I tried running in safe mode and I tried to start with "last known good configuration" and anything I have done just takes me back to the same user screen that has no users. I don't know how to get anywhere to even try anything else!
Please, if anyone has any idea what I should do, please let me know. I am stuck without my desktop.
Thanks,
Diane
reinstall
Old 11-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

there is software to recover this though it's needed to be run on a linux system with the windows hard drive connected as a slave try looking around the internet for a windows NT/2000/XP password crack software. it comes as an ISO you have to burn to disk. If you dont have acess to a linux machine, it's reformat time!

Closed Thread