XP Loading Screen Takes Ages

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisgill369

In Runtime
You know the screen where the blue bar goes from left to right?
Well on my computer the bar moves from left to right at least 30 times! :eek:

My specs are
AMD64 3000+
Asus A8V
512MB Ram
120GB Sata HDD
6600GT

Ive tried a defrag, ive got SP2 installed and i just cant think what i could be. Its not the number of startup entries as there are hardly any.

Any ideas?

Something suonds corrupted restore system folders using the CD or reformate all together.

So your looking at what, maybe 25-30 seconds? If your not experiencing problems within Windows, leave it alone. 25-30 seconds is not worth a reinstall and is hardly indicative of something wrong.

turtile said:
Does the computer run slowly thereafter?

If it doesn't, I would try reinstalling windows.
After that it loads up really quick, just a few seconds. I really dont want to reinstall because ive just spent ages downloading all my games from Steam lol.

Well you could cretae another partition and put your games there, and on the first partiton reformat,

I had a problem similar to that when I had XP and linux dual-booting I got a black screen for at least a minute, then wondows would boot fine. But when I reinstalled XP as a single OS on the HD, it booted just fine.

I had a cdrw drive that went bad and caused the same symptoms. At boot up it would keep checking the drive and eventually start up. I replaced the cdrw and the delay went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom