XP licensing, student media version

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad8266

Baseband Member
I have had a copy of XP Pro/SP2 that i got from my college a few years ago. I have had it installed on a few machines at the same time before which i was suppsoed to be able to do. I know it was supposed to be good for at least a desktop and a laptop. I have gone through a few new machines due to older machines breaking and me upgrading and such. I went to install XP on a desktop today and it wouldnt activate.

Does anybody know how many computers I can install this on? Can you call MS and tell them that the other machines that are in their database on my product key have been trashed and then they take that machines out of the database? I know they must have like 6 computer serial numbers in their database because I have gone through a bunch of machines with this same CD.

According to EULA you can only have XP installed on a single machine at any time. Being student and teacher edition is only valid for Office. There was no student and teacher edition of XP ever released.

No they will not clear their data base. No they will not jsut activate it for you if you tell them you had it on 6 other machines. It violates the EULA and TOS.

New PC = New Purchase of Windows. Hasnt changed since they started this program.

According to EULA you can only have XP installed on a single machine at any time. Being student and teacher edition is only valid for Office. There was no student and teacher edition of XP ever released.

No they will not clear their data base. No they will not jsut activate it for you if you tell them you had it on 6 other machines. It violates the EULA and TOS.

New PC = New Purchase of Windows. Hasnt changed since they started this program.

There is a student version of XP, I have it and its clearly states so on the front of the disk. XP Pro/SP2, Student Systems media. Part# E85-03210

I also have the office student disk as well.

I understand the usual 1 machine =1 license deal but this is different. The schhol even informed me I could install this one more than one machine and I have in the past.

I cant find anything about this particular disk so Ill just call them next week.

Okay no where on any site does XP show a student and teacher edition.

Student and Teacher
Search Results
Search The Knowledge Base
Microsoft Education Product Center

Not a single result for XP Student and Teacher edition. Even searching for the edition you specifiy only comes up with a XP Pro from the last link. So it isnt Student and Teacher. It is XP Pro but used for educational purposes. As i said there is no student and teacher edition. It was jsut XP Pro.

Even being s student edition you still can only use it for 2 machines. You have used it for more. Which means you license has reached it limits and you have to buy a new one. AS you are no longer using it for the machines you had activated it on.

It is the same thing if you had a retail version. You buy it and if you get a new PC you have to buy Windows again cause installign again would violate the EULA and TOS.

To further show that i am right here is the specific EULA for Student rights.

SOFTWARE PRODUCT LICENSE
1. GRANT OF LICENSE.
Licensor hereby grants you the right to use one copy of the version number of the Software Product(s) identied below. Your right to use each Software
Product shall be governed by and subject to the relevant section(s) of the most current product use rights as set forth in JMU's volume license agreement
with Microsoft. A copy of such use terms is attached to and incorporated by reference into this Student EULA.

Which is almost exactly like the EULA for Windows as it stands for others. Call them if you want. They will tell you exactly what i have said. You used it and you can not use the same edition for this new PC and you will have to buy Windows again. For reference here is the link:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...TJx1fBLNYhKc-rAnw&sig2=rylUJEjIm-Vb1-hbSLniCg

I need to stop posting drunk. we had our 20 anniversary high school reunion last night. I didn't read half of this post right.

I would call ms and tell them that I upgraded my computer and the other one is not in use anymore since it is broke which is what you just said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom