xp on laptop, can i install to my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

06Skywalker

In Runtime
EDIT TITLE: VISTA ON LAPTOP CAN YOU INSTALL TO PC?

my partners parents have a windows vista home premium cd + serial ect all legal, my question is this, it is currently installed on their laptop but they would like to install it on there home pc currently running xp,

can they legally install it onto there pc and use the same serial code or will this fail the windows genuine test on microsoft website? they don't want to uninstall it off there laptop + they want to use microsoft to get all the latest upgrades on both computers.

i dont see any problem as they have paid for windows vista but i don't want to install it on their home pc to then block their serial and then wouldn't be able to update their laptop!

to be clear by serial i mean the code on the sticker under their laptop

No. 1 OS = 1 PC. Can not take the serial from their laptop in use and install it elsewhere. this is in violation of the EULA and TOS. Not to mention that it is a OEM which Vista OEM only has 1 activation.

ow bummer, o.k thanks, so what about if "a another" buys vista from a shop how many times can that be activated?

That is the same thing. It can only be on 1 active PC at any time. No exceptions. The only difference is that Vista Retail can be activated 3 times.

But the rules still stand that only 1 active Vista install can use any given serial at any time. If you install a Retail copy on 2 PC's that is in violation of the EULA and TOS of Microsoft and Windows.

i see so the only thing they can do if they want to be legal is buy another copy of vista! seems a bit "O.T.T" but hey this is Microsoft we are talking about!

thanks anyway!

This has been teh same since Windows came about. They didnt have the security measures back then as they do now. But with how highly pirated XP wasthey implemeted these measures. It isnt Over The Top. If you had 60,000+ people working for you full time and you had all of their saleries to pay you would do the same exact thing. Considering to be a coder there you get over $100K a year to start. They have a hefty salary requirement to meet.

yeah, i see why they do it and your right yes i would do the same! fair enough.

anyways i have taken a closer look at there vista disk and this is what it looks like -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/Tetramesh/dell001.jpg

what they are thinking now is format vista from there laptop and install xp on it, then install vista on there pc.

the sticker underneath their laptop says windows vista home premium OEMACT and has a 25 digit product key, will this work on the home pc as the disk says its for dell but is this true? how can that paticular disk only work on a dell pc?

and this windows product key how do i know if its a 1 or a 3 times activation? i presume it can be activated more than once if they have a re installation disk?

Considering to be a coder there you get over $100K a year to start.

Not quite Mak :)
Starting .net and software developers at the Redmond campus was between 75k and 85k this year (average)
Senior .net and other software developers make anywhere between 95k and 115k (average)
Obviously on up from there
I sit right next to the developers at Sbux and talk all the time to people that interviewed for those positions there

My brother in law just started for them Aug 28th and he got $110 a year. He is coding HyperV. So yes. They can start out at that much. Not saying that all do. But if they have enough experience. They can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom