XP key - PID verse CD Label

Status
Not open for further replies.

bixlorr

Beta member
Thanks to info found on this forum, I have been somewhat successful in resolving a problem of MS install CD and the related key.

This is in reference to topic “Winxp key algorithm” http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=67061&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

Like “MattFleming”, I too repair PC’s as a hobby and receive numerous PC’s in a given month historically with Windows CD’s that may or may not have contained valid installation keys. Since MS has started checking these keys now during updates, I have been telling my “customers” that if a reload is required, they must provide me with a valid CD and the proper key to perform the re-install.

But IÂ’m stuck on one repair right now and looking for some help. I built this PC a year ago with a valid key belonging to the PC owner, but I canÂ’t remember which CD was actually used for the install. The PC needs to be reloaded, but the key does not work on any of my MS CDÂ’s. I asked my customer to bring in his CD, but itÂ’s the same problem.
My customer called the MS registration group, and they confirmed the key was valid and verified his CD as correct [I wish I had been on the call to hear the questions]. They even provided him with an alternate key to try and this too is invalid.

I tried building several different install CDÂ’s modifying the PID values and the label or CD volume name. I finally found a combination that works for the base install, but after the install when I try and register on line Â… itÂ’s invalid.

The customers CD label is XRMPFPP_EN and the PID is 55274000 which according to most listings on the internet = 55274 : XP Professional (Corporate/Academic). The “000” I’m assuming it's retail …

The CD I built has a label VRMPFPP_EN and the PID is 51882335 which accepts the key, but fails registrationÂ….

My customer has call MS back, but MS India has not responded to his call back yet Â….

Any ideas ???

Ms is being A$$holes. I have reformatted 3 different people computer with their original key, but when I got to activate it say invalid key. mind you i have reinstalled windows on these same computers and activate them with success in the past

I'd call an cuss them out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom