XP Issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Question XP Issues

I have noticed a number of problems now that I am in the 5th month or so of my computers building. In the beginning, windows worked quite well and I had very few problems from programs such as internet explorer or ‘explorer’. Now, explorer ‘freezes’ unexpectedly and I receive a different blue screens at various times. What is the cause exactly and if you need specific problems let me know.

Steam @ objecterror
Old 03-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Content Team

Send a message via Yahoo to brrymnvette

Would need to know the details on the blue screens.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

The last time I blue screened, it was a physical memory dump. I feel silly now, but, really what they are attributed to and why i would have one. In one instance I was running GW and I blue screened, then after some text informing me that it will now reboot my system(to press F8 to boot in safe mode) to diagnos the/any problems. But my machine is only 5 ~ 6 months old.

Steam @ objecterror
Old 03-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Most likely it's due to bad, or not enough RAM
try increasing your pagefile size...

also, have you checked the system events for pre-dump errors?
Case:NZXT Trinity Silver PSU:Apevia Aspire 500W UV Green Motherboard:Asus A8N-SLI CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500 CPU Cooler:Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Video:2x eVga nVidia GeForce 6800XT (256MB DDR) RAM:2Gig (4x512 Corsair TwinX dual channel) HDD:160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA, 200Gig Maxtor SATA III CD/DVD:LG DVD ROM, NEC 16XDVD+-RW
(\__/) This is Bunny. Put him in your
(='.'=) signature and help him on his way
(")_(") to world domination
Old 03-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

System Events..how would i do that? And how might my Ram go bad?(on that note of errors, I have runtime errors every once and awhile when i boot unreal tournament)

specifically it says:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

---
This application requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.

So, if my problems are hardware related, how might i properly adjust/or diagnos these problems. Along with windows issues, I noticed my motherboard pc speaker will beep. Usually when i reach higher degrees celcious or when i ALT - Tab between programs and attempt to type. usually this multitasking while typing produces a lag of sorts thats frustrating. Rebooting usually fixes the problem but i'd like something a bit more concrete.

Steam @ objecterror
Old 03-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

start>run>"compmgmt.msc"
in the computer management window, select "event viewer"
look in the events for "application"
red is usually an indicator of bad stuff
when you have a crash, look for the timestamp just before
you'll probably notice a lot of events after, because a good number get written at startup

as for the hardware... that's another long-*** post
I see you only have one DIMM, have you reseated it?
I'd make sure it's in slot 1(closest to the processor) too.
Case:NZXT Trinity Silver PSU:Apevia Aspire 500W UV Green Motherboard:Asus A8N-SLI CPU:AMD Athlon 64 3500 CPU Cooler:Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Video:2x eVga nVidia GeForce 6800XT (256MB DDR) RAM:2Gig (4x512 Corsair TwinX dual channel) HDD:160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA, 200Gig Maxtor SATA III CD/DVD:LG DVD ROM, NEC 16XDVD+-RW
(\__/) This is Bunny. Put him in your
(='.'=) signature and help him on his way
(")_(") to world domination
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

alright, I will reseat the ram in the correct slot(iam pretty sure it is, but it doesn't hurt to check). Right now I have a few 'reds' (from various times and dates). Now that I have this info, what can i do to improve my performance?

Aside from that, i notice that from before my 'wireless' internet icon would boot quickly. Up until a few days ago I noticed that the actual time for my wireless connection to boot it is considerably slower. Is there any way to change this?

Should I uninstall the physical drivers for the wireless card, unplug and re-install?

Steam @ objecterror
Closed Thread