Xp installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeman10

Solid State Member
HI everyone.
Im instaling a fresh copy of XP onto a machine. THe problem im getting though is after the initial setup process (upto when it says it will reboot in 15 seconds) It reboots itself but goes back into the first stage of setup automatically and does the whole thing again. Ive tried disabling the CD from the startup menu, ive tried taking the CD out when it goes to reboot but nothing is happening and its just going round in circles
Thanks
Lee

when it reboots and says "Press any button to boot from CD" are you hitting a key?

Don't, just let it go an it will automatically continue with the install. Hitting a key wil cause it to.........well do exactly what you just said.

nah, im not pressing a key. If i take the CD out, it goes through set up and says "press HOME key to boot from the hard drive" you do this and it gives me a disk error

the drive has been used before and there may be a partition. Im trying to get another drive working on it now and its doing the same thing with that. I did think it was the HD but im not so sure now

You can tell from the XP installation disk if theres another partition on it. If there is delete it and then repartition it to your liking.

Is it an original copy of XP or one somebody burned and gave you?

yea i deleted all the partitions on it on setup, i forgot about that. Its a legal copy, its the one i used on it before, shouldnt be any problems

Did you do a full format, or a quick format? I learned the hard way the kind of troubles you get when you use quick format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom