xp install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aristippus

Beta member
When attempting to install xp-pro on a new system (Asus p4r800-vm, p4-2.8, 1g ddr400,wd 40g (10/30fat32 parts) maxor 60g ntfs) all goes well untill after the 3rd boot when the xp logo screen appears, the progress indicator completes the first pass, then hangs at the start of the second. Hangs forever. (6hrs..nada)
Upon a restart, safe mode seems to work as well as safe mode
does, but does not allow the mobo drivers to be loaded.
(Win 98 installs and runs as well as can be expected on a mobo that says it does not support win98.)
I have updated the bios from the mobo's cd and then updated
to the latest version on the web site.
I have removed and moved, enabled and disabled everything
I can think of. I have booted from the cd and installed on a
freshly formatted c: drive. I have upgraded from a 98 inst. Nada.
I have tried xp home....same as xp pro. I have tried upgrading from ME..same thing.
I am at my wits end with this machine. I keep thinking, sledgehammer, sledgehammer.
Has anyone heard of this sort of trouble before?

The actual error message when installing the mobo drivers in
safe mode is that asuhwio.dll can't execute kernel mode driver service. I assumed that was a function of the installer program.
I drilled down the directory structure of the cd and installed the chipset drivers, ethernet, video and sound drivers one at a time but they each required a re-boot to complete installation and it still will never boot to xp normally, but runs safe mode and the driver's installation never completes.
Trying to install the drivers in win98 gets the response that it will not run in this operating system, but by drilling down I can get the video and sound drivers to install. By installing a pci NIC and it's software I can connect to the lan and the internet, but it's not a very stable system for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom