XP Instability, Frequent BSODs and lock ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameTaken

In Runtime
As the title says, I have noticed a lot of instability in my system. I built it in August/September. This is my first built computer, and I like how fast it is when it works. I have never bought a computer that was this instable, in fact I had only had maybe 3 total blue screens before this computer, but I got at least 3 this week. Also a lot of times just randomly the system will freeze, my mouse does nothing, keyboard does nothing, and I have to hold the power button until the machine shuts off and then turn it back on.

my bluescreens are nv4_displ.dll and fltnt.sys or something like that. I only recently started having the fltnt or whatever, but it has been the 2 most recent ones. I found a fix on some nVidia forums for nv4_displ.dll BSOD, but I didnt want to try it just yet for fear of it causing even more problems.

While playing Battlefield 2142 I have had a lot of crash to desktops and lots of Error Not Responding. I'm not sure if this is from BF2142 or my system.

I currently have my PC like this:
80gig -> 20 gig windows
320gig -> unpartitioned

but as in my other thread, I got Partition Magic so I can change it to this:

80 gig -> 35gig new windows installation, the rest games
320 gig -> 20gig old windows and 300gig my documents

But I do not want to do this unless I can be sure that this copying over will go successfully. I need to make sure that this windows install, despite being problematic, will remain useable on the other drive because I now do my school work on this computer. I am afraid that if I use Partition Magic to copy this partition to the 320gig and then delete this partition on the 80gig, that the copy of it will have different or more problems.

I plan on following EricB's guide on keeping Windows fast and stable, but I have to get it stable first. Hopefully my new install will be more stable, as I used nLite to remove a lot of stuff, but I am afraid that it will suffer the same or different problems. We will have to wait and see. What do you recomend I do?

I will be sure to get those the next time it happens, but in the meantime I'm having more troubles.

I currently have my PC like this:
80gig -> 20 gig windows
320gig -> unpartitioned

but as in my other thread, I got Partition Magic so I can change it to this:

80 gig -> 35gig new windows installation, the rest games
320 gig -> 20gig old windows and 300gig my documents

I used Partition Magic to copy over my 20gig windows to the 320gig drive, so now it is like this:
80gig -> 20gig windows
320gig -> 20gig windows (copy)

when I turn on the PC I can choose Windows XP or Windows XP (1). I assume #1 is the 320gig drive because when I boot into that one it starts up fine, but I get a bunch of errors and I can't get any sound.

Edit: just claryfing this is all I need to do but I NEED it to work. I need to change my setup from this
80gig - 20 gig windows, 320gig - unpartitioned
into this
80gig - 35gig/45gig, 320gig - 20gig windows/300gig my documents

I need to copy my current 20gig partition from the 80gig drive to the 320gig drive, but I NEED it to still work. The problem is that when I did this, I get NEW errors.

Edit2: I was reading another thread, and this caught my attention:
Make a Image of your current C:\ Drive and then put the image on another drive. Use Acronis or Ghost to do this. Best option.

Would that work for what I want to do?

I will get the error code next time it happens, but in the meantime I would like to get going on my partitions. Would Ghost/Acronis be what I need?

I will get the error code next time it happens, but in the meantime I would like to get going on my partitions. Would Ghost/Acronis be what I need?
Doing this wont solve you rissue. It would just take it with you. Have to solve the problem first then make a image. If not you will continue to have this problem when you put the image back on.

Yeah I'm gonna keep this install for a couple days but I might just back it up with the problem, and install the new one anyway and see if that fixes it.

BSOD from a few minutes ago:
-----
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000BAB3, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x806E4A8E)

Yeah I'm gonna keep this install for a couple days but I might just back it up with the problem, and install the new one anyway and see if that fixes it.

BSOD from a few minutes ago:
-----
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000BAB3, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x806E4A8E)

Bad ram or conflicting programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom