students were unable to access the schools website. Not
all computers were this way, just a few. If I type in the
schools website, IE disappears, basically closes out
completely. Even if I type in the internal address, it
does the same thing. As of this morning, the problem has
spread to several more computers running XP. The 98
machines are not affected at all. Out of 900 computers,
it started with 3, and now is up to 11 computers total in
less than a week. Can anyone help me figure this one out.
I have been everywhere looking for an answer.
Also, I have been successful at placing a shortcut to the website on the desktops, that allows them to view the website. Strange but true. Manually type it in, does not work, shortcut works.
I have also gone thru the machines that cannot access and looked for pop up ad stoppers etc. I am finding nothing.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks.

Everything is updated.
IE 6 as well as all the security updates.

Today, the count is up to 16 computers. At this rate, by december, no one will be able to access the site :)

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

who provides your dns? and how do you have that configured? something is replicating the wrong information and that is getting passed to the other machines..

check it out..

cheers,

A virus is affirmed. I troubleshoot tis issue before. If im not wrong, Klez h behaves this way..and the stupid Norton patch dun help, coz i did a manual search in regedit for Klez entry and found a separate entry in a folder for photoshop application.

I would out of curiousity just do a tracert on the url that you are trying to load. That would give you atleast an idea of the hops its taking and if it at all goes outside your router. If it doesnt then there could be some policy within your router. Basic point being isolate the problem away from IE and verify if the routing is not the problem.

look into a program called "deepfreeze" my old school had it, very effective. what it does is basically freezes the OS, so whatever gets written to it or installed, would be wiped when the program restarts!

DeepFreeze is wonderful if you are not an adventurous user,, I have a number of machines that have that system installed and granted that it does as it says, however, if you do not get the scheduling for the thawed periods correct with your scheduling of AV software updates, and security patches, and internal updates,, it becomes a bit of a nightmare,,

if you want to try something like that product,, try the newer version called DeepFreeze - enterprise,, released in sept 2003,,,

it allows you to thaw the machines on the fly,, and allows for up to 100 gb as a personal "thawed" area,,

it is a good tool, however, you NEED to put the time into configuring it!

cheers,,

On the virus issue btw, I would agree that there are versions of KLEZ that are a pain in the arse! your explanation does make goood sense,,

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom