XP Home or XP Pro??

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've had more problems with home for some reason.. i prefer pro

i have WMCE on my laptop right now, and i've been having fun with it.

You can still network with XP Home. My office on campus (yeah, I am still a student :( ), uses XP Home - as well as all the other computers in the area. We are obviously networked together and share resources.

For "encryption", I'd just use freely available s/w anyways. For especially sensitive information, I wouldn't just let XP handle it as your security is only as strong as your "key". And the only thing that differs you from an attacker is your "password" that you type in during startup. Something that can be brute forced. Nothing wrong with the "algorithms" they use of course - just the key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFS

I don't think backup is much of an issue either. I don't own "Home", but I hear that they can get the same backup utility as Pro, if they dig in the CD.

For actual differences:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

Tyler1989 said:
Sarcasm? I can't tell but yes I do think most poeple will use it and I think it's worth the investment.

dnoch there is no Vista Pro there is a Premium Vista though which is probably what you mean.

Microsoft plans two general Vista edition categories, which map closely to the two that exist today for Windows XP (XP Home Edition, which includes XP Starter, Home, and Media Center Editions, and XP Professional Edition, which includes XP Pro, Pro x64, and Tablet PC editions). Vista will feature two categories: Home and Business. In the Home category, Microsoft will create four product editions: Vista Starter Edition, Vista Home Basic Edition, Vista Home Premium Edition, and Vista Ultimate Edition (previously known as the "Uber" Edition). The Business category will feature three editions: Vista Small Business Edition, Vista Professional Edition, and Vista Enterprise Edition.

i just wanted to comment on you statement about service pack 3 there is no service pack 3 yet it wont be out till the new operating system is released

Spoiled Boar checked your sources I suspect that is outated as the Premium version is the "ultimate" version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom